Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOXING63 said:
Hello i just pick one up in a tag sale today. The guy i got it from bought it brand new in 1975. He said it works great. I tryed it today and i just love the compass yukon 77-b professional

I've been trying to become a Compass owner, never owned one in the 70-80's. But, just can't get one at a good price without having to
pay an arm and a leg. Just got beat out on an X-80 on ebay. maybe one day...... :icon_pirat:

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
SevnS,

I was the one who out bid you on the X-80, At the time didn't know who I was going up against until reading your recent post. I think you jumped in at the last few seconds but my bid was only a few dollars more, You almost won the auction.

Never had the X-80 model and just curious to see how the four filter will affect the recovery speed, I'll keep you posted with the results.

Paul (Ca)

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
There was a time that Compass was the best in my mind! Don't know why they went under but sure miss them! Oh by the way I did own many compass detectors and pulled a lot of silver out of the ground.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've still got a Compass Relic Magnum 7 and a Coin Magnum. Both were made back in the 70's, when I started detecting and in my opinion were both good detectors. I found a lots of silver and some gold rings with them. My biggest and pretty much only complain is that they were pretty heavy. They took 12 AA batteries.

I don't really use them anymore and now they're just sitting in the attic.

Don't really know anything about modern Compass detectors. In fact, I didn't realize that they were still being made.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
rwsnc said:
I've still got a Compass Relic Magnum 7 and a Coin Magnum. Both were made back in the 70's, when I started detecting and in my opinion were both good detectors. I found a lots of silver and some gold rings with them. My biggest and pretty much only complain is that they were pretty heavy. They took 12 AA batteries.

I don't really use them anymore and now they're just sitting in the attic.

Don't really know anything about modern Compass detectors. In fact, I didn't realize that they were still being made.
Not being made any more just liveing in the past.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much suspected that. They were pretty good detectors in their day... in my opinion.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
rwsnc said:
Pretty much suspected that. They were pretty good detectors in their day... in my opinion.
Yes they were in there day......... but we can't live in the past have to move on with the times keep up with the new stuff . You know new in..old out..

Attachments

• 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,671
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,666
  • 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,667
  • zhaodpnet_02.gif
    zhaodpnet_02.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,679

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
rwsnc said:
Yes they were in there day......... but we can't live in the past have to move on with the times keep up with the new stuff . You know new in..old out..

Not really living in the past. Every now and then I get one of them out, load it up with batteries... and take it out for a spin, but usually end up putting it away. Too heavy...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You know hard to find parts for and only one place to get them repaired just to much trouble for me.

Attachments

• 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,664
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,666
  • 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,662
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,648

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
You know hard to find parts for and only one place to get them repaired just to much trouble for me.

True... when either of them breaks and I can't figure out how to fix it myself, then it will end up in the trash.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...BARBER AND MICHIGAN BADGER......."NO ONE TALKS OR WRITES ABOUT THE COMPASS METAL DETECTORS"........TRY ASKING THIS QUESTION ON THE "COMPASS DETECTOR FORUM"........YOU WILL GET A TOTALLY DIFFERENT RESPONSE......I guarantee it....I have over 700 posts just from me.........LOL......Joe

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oldbill said:
There was a time that Compass was the best in my mind! Don't know why they went under but sure miss them! Oh by the way I did own many compass detectors and pulled a lot of silver out of the ground.
hi oldbill
I renember the Compass i used a lot of em in the day and i think the factory burned to to ground,sad they r still a serious decector

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I have a 1989 Compass Gold Scanner Pro that currently need a little repair. They are awesome
machines for the year made and still a great detector. Great target separation, great discrimination,
one of the best VLF nugget machines around. Also the origiantors of the DD coil. If you can
get a working one, do it.
Rich

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Treasure finder,

Send that GSP to Keith Wills out at East Texas Metal Detectors, he'll fix it right up for you. Joe

MGA-Hobby2

Apr 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Compass Electronics Corp was originally manufactured in Forest Grove Oregon. I used to know the engineer who knew how to repair them. I don't think
anyone sells them any more new.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...Compass had a fire in their Factory back in the 1990's and that was the reason for their demise....in fact...I believe Compass was way ahead for their time!!...There is a Compass Metal Detector forum where a group that still uses those detectors discusses all of their features and useage.....the demand for the higher end Compass detectors seem to be really strong....try bidding on a Compass X-100 or X-200 when one surfaces for sale.....no kidding ...one needs to have deep pockets....

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Compass metal detectors are still around just go to the "Compass Metal detector Forum".....we discuss all of the Compass Detectors and discuss most brands especially if they are vintage.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i started with a Compass back in 1972 .great detectors ,so great my first one was stolen ! i have had dozen of detectors of all kind and makes .. i go on trips & expeditions and the x-80 will be going on my next expedition ....yes very hard to find a good condition compass but when you find the location that matches them they are priceless ... i have found more with simple compass then any other detector known .i have hit silver at 14 inches deep and you may dig your share of odd trash but you can clean a area spotless and that's what counts in my book for a good all round detector ..i got light weight and they are great for this old guy but when the site is worth that time and has old targets out comes the compass .i have had guys try to buy the detector when i am hunting with it . i have had guys with thousand dollar detectors watch me clean house and it just leaves them in AW . take your time get the compass that works best for you and where you hunt and you will enjoy metal detecting at its best ...i will add the best coin day i have had was with a old BFO compass $117.23 in 6 hours ,in a 35 by 35 foot old house site .$71 dollars in silver . so yes there are some of those old compass that react great to silver after a good rain the night before ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread