Complaining has been my downfall - true confessions of THIS detectorist!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi , hope you find a little bit of yourself, in the ramblings that follow....:

I don't like using jive, slang for what we know is true - so I won't use "nectar" or "juice",
"roundness"....(WHATEVER!), but I will call your "Merc" a MERCURY DIME.....I know I'm weird,
I guess it is just my age/generation - I'm SURE!

Another complaint I have is:

Why do we have to call a LOCATION a "Site"?
Calling your place to hunt a Site, implies an archaeological,
Cultural Resource (recorded) SITE!
We are gaining a lot of info from the ground, in our hunts, however.
And we share with others of what we learn, gaining almost the needed
field experience, in all kinds of recovery and conservation of our relics.....(wait!)....ARTIFACTS,
no...., "Relics" - and don't-you-forget-it~! :laughing7:

....BOY, I'm glad I got THAT off my chest!

GL and HH :thumbsup:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know...
I still use the word "spot" myself... or even just a "place".
I do call a private property a "perm"... for obvious reason.
And If I find something... I do not call it "recovery"... I call it "finding" for it has either been lost OR discarded... For another obvious reason.
And...
I still call what I found ... by its name/title.

BUT...
I was thinking of the next time I find a tent stake yelling at the top of my lungs "STAKE ON THE GRILLIO" and roll around and do some cartwheels.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I hunt home sites....home location just doesn't roll of the tongue too well. These two phrases are getting old..."With that said" and "that being said". I wanna jump thru my screen and slap those that use the phrase...lol..now I feel better!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tomato to-mah-to, potato po-tah-to.
Let's call the whole thing off.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been known to find stuff, some of it is good stuff, some garbage. Coins aren't stuff, a coin can be a toasted zinc, or a Lincoln, run of the mill modern American coins are clad, but silver is special and deserves to be mentioned, like "Hey, I got a silver 2 bit piece." I don't have the experience of finding gold, the only gold I've found has been plated stuff, which is when a ring can be called stuff, of course unless it's really gold, then it a wonderful golden ring which as I said before, I have no experience with. Rusty stuff seems to be most of my finds, while pop tabs come in a close second. Somebody must have spilled a bucket of square nails, because I got a ton of those out of one hole, at the same place I found an Indian Head Penny. I've also found a bunch of empty brass, some loaded ammunition, and of course lead bullets. Mostly though, I find stuff, and stuff is important.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For that matter, why call it a "hunt"?
It's not like we're digging red meat out of the ground. :laughing7:

I'm not so much bothered by "nectar" or "juice" as I am by the word "kit" to describe equipment.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I DO call my gear "my rig" a lot.
But I also use that term to describe almost anything from my dive compressor to my dive boat as well.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the terms site and Merc. Just my preference. Definition of site "the place, scene, or point of an occurrence or event", I consider my hunt an occurrence or event. The term site was used often in the military, old habit I guess. As for Merc... again in the military we used acronyms and abbreviations, using less is more when the meaning can still be derived. Glad you got that off your chest. "Don't sweat the small stuff". Life's to short, enjoy it.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't ever call my metal detector a "metal detector"...

I refer to it as "my machine"....

and for what its worth...I think it makes me sound awesome.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I call it a Merc. because I can't spell. :tongue3:

Juice or nectar should be only referenced in describing a fruit.

Site is a lot easier to write than LOCATION, then again corn field, bush, cellar hole works just as well.

Congrats is a spelling issue, and laziness.

Must be getting to sensitive in my old age but IH Penny, reads a lot easier than Injun. tribe, bla, bla bla ( I cringe reading that one now, as I'm sure there's some others do as well )

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use site , and merc - site is less clunky than "place" or 'location" - and merc is way better than "Winged Liberty Dime " !

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As with any trade, interest or hobby, people tend to come up with terms that are used that are unique to what they do. It's called lingo. In radio, we do not call it a commercial, we call it a spot. We don't call it a speaker, we call it a monitor. Some in the biz call headphones-Cans.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"hey man I have a spot if you want to go detect" ... VS... "hey man I have a location if you want to go detect"

"hey man I just found a merc" ... VS... "hey man I just found a 1932 dime"

Bro... like know... on the down low... I have a site to go... we can roll out like mojo... flip flops in the snow ya know.
Like knarly...
We can drink juice while finding some juice.
Bring your wife for roundness.
And bring a jungle gym and a swing in case we find the Holy Grail...
And a gymnastics mat.

Oh and don't forget bandaids ... and a crutch.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I use "spot" for location ..as in my secret spots....I say machine for my "metal detector" ...and I call my stuff found .."finds" ...I do not use "nectar" or other nonsence words-- and yes I say merc ..for short

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't use the words nectar or juice around me for metal detecting references and all is good. I know those things shouldn't matter but I feel like those two words relating to metal detecting are as made up as the show. And I'm all for watching it when I'm bored but never once had I read someone calling their finds that. Just sounds and feels made up and I just can't take the person serious if they use those words. Someone I work with came in asking if I ever found any good nectar with my detector. I just couldn't quit shaking my head no. I completely understand the feeling to complain about certain choices of words.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Montana where the Diggers are from. I think the words they use detecting are exclusive to them and their friendship. Unfortunately having a show, they make people think that we as a hobby use these terms. But then again, if someone were to come here and see some of the member names (including mine) they would think we use CB handles.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt home sites....home location just doesn't roll of the tongue too well. These two phrases are getting old..."With that said" and "that being said". I wanna jump thru my screen and slap those that use the phrase...lol..now I feel better!
I slap back. LOL
We all have our likes and dislikes.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll use juice, nectar, Boom Baby, or whatever the producer wants. Just give me a show...

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I jimmied some bling at this hoes crib down in the hood, you dig?

This is how I thought i always heard it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread