Jaichim24

Jul 28, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a friends today to show him my finds for the year. I have detected his property and he has gotten me permission from his neighbors. I gave him a few more items I found at one of his properties. He really is a history buff.

One neighbor moved out and he found a bunch of stuff including two belts. I posted the first one he found back in October.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/435659-civil-war-buckle.html

I was told it was 1870's Indian war period. I asked if I could see them since I had only seen the pictures of the first one. Unfortunately he said he had sold the first one to a collector. He said he would dig out the other one, which he said was more complete. Wow, is it!!! Does anyone have a book to identify specifically what model and period both the buckle and the belt come from? I did some googling around, perhaps it is a M1874 belt and buckle? I have seen people label the silver colored ones as Officers or Cavalry buckles. Is that "S" shaped part on the buckle some sort of sword hanger? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The kicker to all this is, as I was getting ready to leave, he gave me the belt and buckle! Said he found it in a dumpster so it wasn't like it cost him any money. I think giving him a majority of the things I found in his properties paid a dividend today. I am very grateful. So in a round about way this is a "metal detecting" find! :)

Attachments

• Buckle_B_1.JPG
    Buckle_B_1.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Buckle_B_2.JPG
    Buckle_B_2.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Buckle_B_3.JPG
    Buckle_B_3.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Buckle_B_4.JPG
    Buckle_B_4.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 89
  • Buckle_B_5.JPG
    Buckle_B_5.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Buckle_B_9.JPG
    Buckle_B_9.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Buckle_B_8.JPG
    Buckle_B_8.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 87
  • Buckle_B_7.JPG
    Buckle_B_7.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Buckle_B_6.JPG
    Buckle_B_6.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very similar one. I was told 1870s-1890s 0206141949.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty slick looking rig! I haven't seen one with a silvered buckle before.

Steve

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I wouldn't mind finding that in a dumpster. I'd dig through a pile of nasty smelly garbage any day if it meant getting my hands on something that neat!
Good thing your friend was the one to do this lol, saves you alot on laundry bills. :laughing7: All your generosity to him payed off big time!:occasion14:
Wear it proudly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread