Computer tower and monitor help

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
It seems spring cleaning is on full swing in my area. In the classifieds and craigslist there are computer towers and monitors listed for free almost daily. There have been many discussions on these items and I am very intrigued. What is the best way to make money on these? Sell as is, break them down, which parts go where, and on and on with questions.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Okay, what you want to do is just get the tower. Take it apart and pile up the boards, hard drives, wire etc. Then, when you pile up enough boards, sell them either on eBay or to a site like boardsort.com. I wouldn't get the big monitors unless you have experience taking them apart. I don't and don't have a spot where I can get rid of the screen for free. It would cost me more to get rid of the screen than the scrap in it. Have you done scrap metal before?

Thanks bassmaster. I have only scrapped on a limited basis, large items and some copper. I was assuming, or hoping,that the glass would just go in the recycle bin.

Okay well, as long as you have done it before then you can get what I'm saying. I like to take apart power supplies to get the copper. Some people don't. The leaded glass you have to pay to take off where I am, but if you have a best buy or staples near you, they may take it for free. I would definitely get all of the towers you can find for free.

Thanks again. I have seen large older tv's and monitors torn down, mainly for the copper. Great tip on seeing if local stores will take the glass.

Yeah, if the stores will take it, I would definitely go for that. They normally have a limit though so keep that in mind. The main thing in them will be the copper yoke. I would pull it, cut the wires, take the low grade, then put it all back together and bring it to one of those stores if they do take it. If you do get some towers, pull the cpu, ram, and any gold finger cards off of the motherboard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back