Cone Shaped Stones

What are these???

• Total voters
L

Laurajake

These cone shaped stones or rocks were found at a flea market in Tennessee. A guy sold them to a friend of mine who bought a bunch in a coffee can. Nothing is known about them except for the fact that they were found in the mountains of Rockwood, TN. Does anyone know or have a clue of what they are? Toys, perhaps tools or relics of some kind? They are all shaped the same...like Hershey Kisses and smooth/worn, gray in color. They seem to come to a point on top (if that's the top!) and have a slight indention on the bottom underneath (about the size of your thumb and again, with a smooth wear/finish). Any ideas?

Happy Carver

Attachments

• Unidentified Coneshaped objects.jpg
    Unidentified Coneshaped objects.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,989
  • Unidentified Cones.jpg
    Unidentified Cones.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,970

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen similar size & shape man-made objects used to hold ceramic plates off the kiln bricks for an even glaze when firing.

I think yours are natural formations. Pebbles that laid facing in the same direction in a steady flowing stream and rocked back and forth for ages until worn cone shape maybe?

S

stefen

In my opinion, these are not natural...so few things are consistant in nature.

They are man-made and most likely ceramic. Certainly not an artifact.

I partially agree with Charley...possible kiln spacers.

T

TreasureTales

How big are they? Size matters!!! LOL I ain't a-gonna guess unless I know the size. Thanks.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Fairly similar cone-shaped stones are listed in Hothem's North American Indian Artifacts, 6th Ed.. About 1-3/4-2" in size, they are of hematite. One is flat on the bottom; the other, slightly concave. No information is provided regarding their usage or significance, if known. They were valued around $275-325 at the time of the book's publication (1998).

Also, see several examples, ranging from $80 to $225, at:

http://www.relicshack.com/list.cfm?type_id=328

T

TreasureTales

PBK said:
Fairly similar cone-shaped stones are listed in Hothem's North American Indian Artifacts, 6th Ed.. About 1-3/4-2" in size, they are of hematite. One is flat on the bottom; the other, slightly concave. No information is provided regarding their usage or significance, if known. They were valued around $275-325 at the time of the book's publication (1998).

Also, see several examples, ranging from $80 to $225, at:

http://www.relicshack.com/list.cfm?type_id=328

Holy crap! Wonder what the price was at the flea market? Why can't I found stuff like this for cheap? Sheesh.

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
These were purchased in a Craft Store. Obviously man made as they are rather smooth and polished as if they were processed through a Rock Tumbler.

Yours appear to be made prior to rock tumblers.

NICE! PBK!

Tony

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 884

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
They have the appearance of tumbler media such as we used in a large vibrator tumbler at the last place I worked before retiring.

hasbeen

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureTales said:
How big are they? Size matters!!! LOL I ain't a-gonna guess unless I know the size. Thanks.

Thought we had established these to be the size of Hershey Kisses.

Uh oh. There's that reading comprehension thing Miss Spleen used to slap me around for in 7th grade. ::)

T

TreasureTales

Laura said they were SHAPED like Hershey's Kisses, not that they were the SIZE of Hershey's Kisses. Charlie, you are asking for it. LOL

Hey Laura, forgot to say: Welcome to TNet and hope to be seeing more stuff from you soon.

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
A friend of mine brought two stones very similar to yours to our relec and detector club meeting a couple months back.He is into indian artifacts. He said that the native americans used them as a weapon to the head of a rival at close combat. his fit in the palm very well and probably coul hurt ya pretty bad.
Just thought I would throw that in there
hikermike

gatodiablo

Oct 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0185.JPG

I know this tread is very old but I found it on a search for "Hershey Kiss Rocks". I have attached a photo of my "collection". These are not "rocks" they are some kind of mold. When I was a kid living in Fairport NY around 1983 many kids would find these on a rails-to-trails path that ran behind a gun manufacturer called Crosman Arms. We called all of them "Hershey Kiss Rocks". I would like to know what the material is, what they were used for in the manufacture of something there, and if any other person has found these in similar circumstances. Thanks for reading!

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deburring Stones turns up a lot of information, such as this:

"These items are used in large quantities in a tumbler (smaller ones may be pumped through an air or water-gun in the manner of a “shot-blaster”) to remove burrs from metal items which have been cast and/or subjected to machining operations such as hammering, grinding, drilling, engraving or lathe-turning. When modern small industrial items are cast and/or machined in steel, they often come out of the process with unwanted sharp edges (known as “burrs”) or metal that has seeped into the mould-join (known as “flash”). These unwanted defects are removed by the deburring process. Typical uses are for finishing screws, nuts, bolts, cogs and gears, as well as a wide variety of parts used in automobile construction.

The shape of deburring media is designed to ensure that their abrasive action reaches the affected surfaces of machine parts which may have holes and intricate designs. The conical ones are normally rather smooth to begin with and can be mistaken for polished Native American “conestones” "

deburr.jpg

gatodiablo

Oct 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I can totally picture that use and the attached image feels right. Now I at least have something to go on for further "research".

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it deburring stones BAAAM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread