What's new

Confederate Veteran Reunion badge Richmond Va 1896

Gregg3131

Hero Member
Joined
May 24, 2015
Messages
706
Reaction score
3,750
Golden Thread
4
Location
Va
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited Edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this gem searching an old house site in Central VA. I don't know much about it other than what's written on it. There was a reunion for confederate vets on June 30 1896 at the Jefferson Davis Monument. This may be a cavalry veteran? Not sure if this is from actual Vet or a souvenir given out during the ceremony? It's about 2 inches by 1.5. Back does not have any writing Anyone have more info?
 

Attachments

  • 20151203_154551-1.webp
    20151203_154551-1.webp
    638.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20151203_154625-1.webp
    20151203_154625-1.webp
    448.6 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 38
WOW!!!! That's a heck of a find. Not going to do that every day. That thing would look awesome in any CW collection. Nice save on a great piece of history.
 
Thanks Relic Nut. It will be proudly displayed in my case
 
Man what a cool piece!!! Congrats!
 
That is a Awesome piece.
I love the patina on it.
 
Apparently this was a badge made for the veteran to attend the reunion so it is actually the vets badge rather than a souvenir given out to other attendees.
 
That makes it even better. It would be cool to research who owned the property and put a soilders name with it.
 
Awesome dig, :headbang: I think it is souvenir, see the pic below

$_35.webp
 
Def looks like the piece. I am getting mixed info on this. But regardless I love it
 
Hello Gregg3131. Sorry I don't have any info but that is one sweet find, congratulations and Good Luck. C9
 
Either way, be proud of the find, it's a beauty. Congrats & HH
 
I agree with RN
 
Relic Nut. Shape is different on mine. I will keep looking into it
 
Here is an article about that reunion.

1896.webp


1896a.webp
 
Last edited:
Relic Nut. Shape is different on mine. I will keep looking into it

Keep us updated. I hope it's a veterans, but if not I'll take it off your hands. Like stated above, its a great find either way.
 
Definitely a nice relic with Confederate ties. I would check the old County Atlases and see if you can locate the house. A lot of them from the 1860 and 70s have the property owners names on them. You may get and find a Confederate Veteran lived there.
 
Loco digger you know dimensions on this piece?
 
Mine has cornerstone laying at Jefferson Davis Monument on it and another date of Feb 22 1862. Another civil war site is saying it is the badge issued to the vets for this ceremony. I have emailed an expert on this.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom