ct. reverse.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 8

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, anxious to hear.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you dig that today? Awesome coin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much easier if you say what you think and see if there is agreement, as I think most who ID them on here don't recognize them well enough to go right to the section, so it takes a lot of time.... time that is not worth spending when you already did the work. The coin is rough so hopefully there is not others that are extremely close.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this one might be tough! Like Iron Patch said, tell us what you think it may be and we can double check against that variety instead of all 350 of them!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you have is a Draped Bust Facing Left type. They made them from 1786-1788. It is the most common type of 1787 and one of the rarest of the 86's. Can't see the date on the reverse so it's a bit hard to tell where it falls. It may have the possibility of an exact attribution as to variety, but it might take a really long time to do. It can be narrowed down as the obverse die seems to be a M.32 as evidenced by the period and cinquefoil after the word CONNEC. There are 8 obverse dies from the Miller 32 group and even more reverse dies that match up. I might give it a try if I had better photos and get the time. Problem is, when I get that much time I'm usually out swinging my detector. Nice find any way you look at it.

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Much easier if you say what you think and see if there is agreement, as I think most who ID them on here don't recognize them well enough to go right to the section, so it takes a lot of time.... time that is not worth spending when you already did the work. The coin is rough so hopefully there is not others that are extremely close.

Ok , I believe it is very close to the 1788 Miller 16.7-P

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats just it , its a rare variety so there isn't many examples out there to see Patch.

So how did you come to that conclusion? I seen a thread on one here from a while back but no reverse pic. I think it's going to be tough to confirm an ID, but I guess it comes down to whether the subtle differences are visible or not.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look similar, but I don't think that is it. The 16.7 obverse has a much narrower "A".

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
So how did you come to that conclusion? I seen a thread on one here from a while back but no reverse pic. I think it's going to be tough to confirm an ID, but I guess it comes down to whether the subtle differences are visible or not.

it looks close to the one in the book i have Patch .

It does look similar, but I don't think that is it. The 16.7 obverse has a much narrower "A".

can you point me to another variety I.cutler ??

I posted a couple more pictures of the coin , as you can clearly see its a 1788 type . hope this helps some .

Dan

Attachments

• 1788 ct obverse 1.JPG
    1788 ct obverse 1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 1788 Ct reverse pic 1.JPG
    1788 Ct reverse pic 1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 74

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, back to might be, with this picture it looks like the A might just be damaged or as a result of the corrosion it looks a little different. Will try to spend a little more time on it.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I SAY ITS A NICE FIND FOR A COIN AND A DANG SWEET OLE ONE.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it looks close to the one in the book i have Patch .

can you point me to another variety I.cutler ??

I posted a couple more pictures of the coin , as you can clearly see its a 1788 type . hope this helps some .

Dan

Ahh! A much better photo. Now I can see it's an '88. I pulled out a couple of my old auction catalogs and found this in the third one I opened. I don't think it's a 16.7-P, but I could be wrong. Hard to say without actually seeing the coin.

16.7-p.jpg

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does seem very close but I can't get there. I don't think we're done yet however, if you want to do the work, and it being 1788 it would not be too bad. Even if we can not confirm a match, you can still confirm it by systematically eliminating every other 1788, and that probably would not take long because over 90% would likely have clear differences. Then once you have your short list, compare those to 16.7-P and if you can clearly eliminate each one you have your answer. If you get stuck and can't, then it's going to be inconclusive and really nowhere to go. So I do think it is still possible to ID it, or at least feel a high degree of confidence you have it right.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice copper, congrats on the find.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does seem very close but I can't get there. I don't think we're done yet however, if you want to do the work, and it being 1788 it would not be too bad. Even if we can not confirm a match, you can still confirm it by systematically eliminating every other 1788, and that probably would not take long because over 90% would likely have clear differences. Then once you have your short list, compare those to 16.7-P and if you can clearly eliminate each one you have your answer. If you get stuck and can't, then it's going to be inconclusive and really nowhere to go. So I do think it is still possible to ID it, or at least feel a high degree of confidence you have it right.

I'm with you Iron Patch. It's close, but not quite there. Could even be the photo. It's the last 8 in the date that throws me a bit. The 7 is very similar to the the reverse P. Maybe it's just a new, previously undiscovered variety 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread