Conquistador lance? Something else?

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first post on here with pics, so I hope I don't mess it up royally. Found this in a ravine in coastal California. Initially assumed it was a 19th century iron fence post-- but standing it up it doesn't even reach my knee cap. Then I saw a pic of a conquistador lance ferrule found in context of the Coronado expedition in the southwest-- and it had a familiar resemblance (though not identical) to this piece.

About a foot long I would say. It fits neatly laying diagonally on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper.

Anybody here have thoughts from the pics? Much thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8269.JPG
    IMG_8269.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8268.JPG
    IMG_8268.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8266.JPG
    IMG_8266.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 99

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly the remains of an early high voltage insulator spindle? :dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lance shaft would have been made entirely of wood (usually ash), just the vamplate (the hand protector) would be iron. Could it be some sort of architectural embellishment?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing pics of insulator spindles I thought 'Oh no.. that just might be it!" But aren't those typically made of steel, thus they wouldn't rust like that? I could be wrong.

A fencing type weapon-- THAT's intriguing, and it does have that kinda look.

As for architectural embellishment, can't rule that out either considering the kind of ornamentation-like design on the bulky part. I guess as far as it being part of a lance, my thought was maybe the spike-y part would insert into a long wood shaft and the bulky part might be the grip handle??

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just an old iron fennial. I do like your imagination though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my very first inclination....but then massive pic googling didn't bring up a match. Then I came upon "Kuykendall Ruins" website, and the Spanish iron ferrule the archaeologist is holding up looks just about as close to my piece as those antique fennials. So, until I find that matching pic, I am open to innumerable possibilities. But I do appreciate all weigh-ins!

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the two areas I considered when I saw it were torch sconce... images (1).jpg

and fence finial..... images (2).jpg ...interesting piece and possibly may never be nailed down with certainty

cheers

Upvote 0

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
No, I did not mean a fencing weapon; I meant fencing as in what encloses property. I think you have to start reconciling yourself to it not being any sort of weapon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would never rule out iron fence post as a decent possibility ... but WAY too early to reconcile. Especially with 16th to 17th century woodcuts like you see here (see BurningClam.Com) which look even more convincing.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread