Considering a new detector

Dean N

Greenie
Jan 5, 2024
York County, PA
I’ve recently decided to get back into metal detecting having not done any in over 20 years. I currently have a Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Sovereign XS and with all the new advances am considering purchasing a new one. Both are good machines but as I’ve gotten a bit older I want something a bit lighter. My current detectors are a bit heavy to be trying to work for an extended period of time. An hour or two is fine but over that it can get tiring. I’m in the south central Pennsylvania area and I’ll likely be detecting local parks and the occasional trip to the beach. What brands/models would you recommend I look into in the $300 -$600 range? I would appreciate any advice you may want to send my way.

Dean

Upvote 9

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - you might consider browsing forum: BRANDS for a possible selection...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to the forum, as for a new detector, if I was looking for ease of use and all the bells and whistles I could get in that price range I would look at the Nokta Legend. A lot of detector for the money. I enjoy mine.
XP DEUS I or II But they are quite a bit more expensive than your price range, and the DEUS II can be heavier than the I,
The Nakta is probably just as good although I have never used one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta Makro Simplex+ is a good machine. I would trust it or the Nokta Legend.
Nope, the Simplex isn't a good salt water beach detector.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your price range, the Legend is probably the best buy. The Minelab Equinox 700 would also be a good choice, but, a bit more money.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also hip mount that Sovereign and get a carbon fiber shaft from Steve Detecting Rods to help lighten it up. The Sov is still an excellent beach detector.

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I use a Garrett AT MAX. I don't have any experience with anything else in your price range. However, I know the Nokta Legend is a more recent design and it is multi-frequency, unlike the Garrett. I'd give that a shot if I were you. However, you should 100% consider getting the Garret AT pro pinpointer. I think it's generally accepted as the best pinpointer out there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I use a Garrett AT MAX. I don't have any experience with anything else in your price range. However, I know the Nokta Legend is a more recent design and it is multi-frequency, unlike the Garrett. I'd give that a shot if I were you. However, you should 100% consider getting the Garret AT pro pinpointer. I think it's generally accepted as the best pinpointer out there.
I would rank the XP Mi6 better than the Garrett pin pointer.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve recently decided to get back into metal detecting having not done any in over 20 years. I currently have a Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Sovereign XS and with all the new advances am considering purchasing a new one. Both are good machines but as I’ve gotten a bit older I want something a bit lighter. My current detectors are a bit heavy to be trying to work for an extended period of time. An hour or two is fine but over that it can get tiring. I’m in the south central Pennsylvania area and I’ll likely be detecting local parks and the occasional trip to the beach. What brands/models would you recommend I look into in the $300 -$600 range? I would appreciate any advice you may want to send my way.

Dean
I also needed a lighter detector being 79 with arthritis I highly recommend the quest x10 pro. I bought a Minelab vanquish 540 pro pack at the same time I bought quest a couple of years ago. The vanquish stays home for a backup and the quest is what I use. weighs less than 2 lbs and easy to swing all day. It is just as deep as the vanquish With the small coil.

OP
OP
Dean N

Dean N

Greenie
Jan 5, 2024
York County, PA
You could also hip mount that Sovereign and get a carbon fiber shaft from Steve Detecting Rods to help lighten it up. The Sov is still an excellent beach detector.
Thanks for the idea, they will definitely help with the weight and balance issues.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would rank the XP Mi6 better than the Garrett pin pointer.
Never heard of that one. I'll have to look into that.
Unless you have an XP detector, the MI-4 is probably the way to go. Save ~$30. 🤑

The MI-4 is a traditional pin pointer, designed to be used by all detectorists at an attractive price, the MI-4 has the same specifications as the MI-6, without the DEUS / ORX radio connection.

OTOH, if you decide on getting one of the XP detectors, I'd definitely look into the MI-6.

I have an MI-6 paired w/ a Dēus II and WSAII XL phones. The audio from the MI-6 comes through the headphones, so... it can be more discreet.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dean
I'd say if your not in a hurry have a look at the resale market for the upper tier detectors.
There has been some sales that are in your price range for detectors that have been purchased hardly used.
The equipment on the forum is usually posted in this section by a Charter Member

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

Dean
Dean, welcome

I think your option is Minelab Vankish 540, is water proof, is on your budget range, it is easy to use and good quality. My partners have been using and works very well.

Take a look in the web, good look 👍🏽😎

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dean, welcome

I think your option is Minelab Vankish 540, is water proof, is on your budget range, it is easy to use and good quality. My partners have been using and works very well.

Take a look in the web, good look 👍🏽😎
Pretty sure the Vanquish control box isn't waterproof, rather, weather resistant. They don't want you to submerge it.

The coil it waterproof though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread