Considering a new detector

Dean N

Greenie
Jan 5, 2024
York County, PA
I’ve recently decided to get back into metal detecting having not done any in over 20 years. I currently have a Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Sovereign XS and with all the new advances am considering purchasing a new one. Both are good machines but as I’ve gotten a bit older I want something a bit lighter. My current detectors are a bit heavy to be trying to work for an extended period of time. An hour or two is fine but over that it can get tiring. I’m in the south central Pennsylvania area and I’ll likely be detecting local parks and the occasional trip to the beach. What brands/models would you recommend I look into in the $300 -$600 range? I would appreciate any advice you may want to send my way.

Dean

Upvote 9

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my first detector bought in 94 a cz20 and it's still working great. I also have a cz6a that is just as good. But being disabled for a long time,lymes disease I needed something light and the Nokta legend fills the bill just fine,still prefer my cz's though but are built like a tank a weigh almost as much,lol.
Oh, one other option and I think might be better is the Minelab Vanquish 540 package,I have one and and it works on the beach just like a CZ and and very deep and easy to use with a backlight.
My new go to machine. Good luck

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
I don’t like the legend that much… but have some buddies that love it…for the money.. it’s the best out there.. Wireless phones… waterproof.. not to heavy…think the new ones are all carbon shafts…lots of info for them on the internet… and the lady that runs it … is always posting and really gets into updates and other stuff….I am a Minelab guy… I wish they where on the internet more to talk more and explain to new people…Minelab and Xp are like buying a detector from Tiffany…

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t like the legend that much… but have some buddies that love it…for the money.. it’s the best out there.. Wireless phones… waterproof.. not to heavy…think the new ones are all carbon shafts…lots of info for them on the internet… and the lady that runs it … is always posting and really gets into updates and other stuff….I am a Minelab guy… I wish they where on the internet more to talk more and explain to new people…Minelab and Xp are like buying a detector from Tiffany…
If you have a buddy that has a legend have you been able to try it out yourself? I’m also curious about that machine. I have owned 2 nokta detectors and I was happy with both of them for the price. I still have the gold Kruzer( I’m a nugget hunter). My only complaint it the wireless headphones that come with the Kruzer are really bad. It looks like they have replaced those ones with actual Bluetooth ones on the legend so those should be better I would think. I did own an equinox 800 for a while and I did not mesh well with that machine. I know it’s super duper popular and most people love it but I really just didn’t. There is definitely a learning curve to these smf machines. I’m sure it’s just me. My ears don’t like jumpy thresholds at all.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
….I am a Minelab guy… I wish they where on the internet more to talk more and explain to new people…Minelab and Xp are like buying a detector from Tiffany…
:icon_scratch: IME, Minelab and XP are all over the internet explaining their detectors and how to use them. That's primarily where I've been learning about their differences and how to use the DÄ“us II.

Minelab even has regional channels.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
If you have a buddy that has a legend have you been able to try it out yourself? I’m also curious about that machine. I have owned 2 nokta detectors and I was happy with both of them for the price. I still have the gold Kruzer( I’m a nugget hunter). My only complaint it the wireless headphones that come with the Kruzer are really bad. It looks like they have replaced those ones with actual Bluetooth ones on the legend so those should be better I would think. I did own an equinox 800 for a while and I did not mesh well with that machine. I know it’s super duper popular and most people love it but I really just didn’t. There is definitely a learning curve to these smf machines. I’m sure it’s just me. My ears don’t like jumpy thresholds at all.
I have a legend and 800… my go to is a 3030… I got a screaming deal on legend… still haven’t really tried it… not enough arms!….. just some of them.
922FFAB8-BBE4-49D2-B0D2-9D4668E07989.jpeg

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
:icon_scratch: IME, Minelab and XP are all over the internet explaining their detectors and how to use them. That's primarily where I've been learning about their differences and how to use the DÄ“us II.

Minelab even has regional channels.
It just seems Minelab is not as customer friendly?. .. I have been using Minelabs for 20 years… still my favorite detector.. they are way better than 7 or so years ago…

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve recently decided to get back into metal detecting having not done any in over 20 years. I currently have a Fisher CZ6a and a Minelab Sovereign XS and with all the new advances am considering purchasing a new one. Both are good machines but as I’ve gotten a bit older I want something a bit lighter. My current detectors are a bit heavy to be trying to work for an extended period of time. An hour or two is fine but over that it can get tiring. I’m in the south central Pennsylvania area and I’ll likely be detecting local parks and the occasional trip to the beach. What brands/models would you recommend I look into in the $300 -$600 range? I would appreciate any advice you may want to send my way.

Dean
The Sovereign is a great machine have you considered mounting the control housing in the back? I did it with mine along with the DTI Meter & Sunray probe
The 8 inch coil gives great depth. Nickels came in loud and clear to. Good luck

ryanosourus

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2024
Greene/Clay/Sullivan County area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett AT Viper Coil, Garrett AT Super Sniper Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also Looking to step into the Multi Frequency world this year. I am considering the Garrett Ace Apex, The XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, and the Nokta Legend. They range in the 5-800 dollar area depending on what package you get. Great topic and thanks to everyone for the info.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also Looking to step into the Multi Frequency world this year. I am considering the Garrett Ace Apex, The XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, and the Nokta Legend. They range in the 5-800 dollar area depending on what package you get. Great topic and thanks to everyone for the info.
XP DEUS II, but it's more than $800

Last edited:

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Depends what you'll be using it for, I agree with those who said Deus, either will do just fine and the equinox 800.

If you're not too fussed about getting a used machine that will expand your options a lot to the higher end detectors.

For something like land use occasionally even a Minelab xTerra pro is gonna be fine, I got one and used it a while trying out the hobby before getting a Deus 2 so I can vouch for it being a good starter but don't expect it to do well on salty beaches-wet sand

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bought a Deus 2 WS6 Master. Unfortunately, I've only had it out a couple times. Now frozen ground and snow have kept me from detecting. It's very light. I had a blast during my two outings with it.

Legend is a good machine. I've had a lot of luck with mine.

Ace Apex is good too. I would recommend getting either the Ripper or Reaper coil. The Viper that came with mine is small for larger areas.

I haven't had enough time with the WS6 Master, but of the other two, I would recommend the Legend. As I have spent time using both. With that said, even though I've only been out with it twice, I really like the WS6 Master.

ryanosourus

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2024
Greene/Clay/Sullivan County area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett AT Viper Coil, Garrett AT Super Sniper Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a Deus 2 WS6 Master. Unfortunately, I've only had it out a couple times. Now frozen ground and snow have kept me from detecting. It's very light. I had a blast during my two outings with it.

Legend is a good machine. I've had a lot of luck with mine.

Ace Apex is good too. I would recommend getting either the Ripper or Reaper coil. The Viper that came with mine is small for larger areas.

I haven't had enough time with the WS6 Master, but of the other two, I would recommend the Legend. As I have spent time using both. With that said, even though I've only been out with it twice, I really like the WS6 Master.
Thanks for the insight! The ws6 is very tempting just because I know the reputation of the deus2. But I’ve honestly been sold on the legend since the first version. Of course cutting my teeth on my AT Max makes me want to stay with Garrett, save a few bucks and get the Apex. The legend pro pack is on sale a few places and awfully tempting.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up the Minelab Exterra pro it is in your price range. There are also a lot of YouTubers using it with good results even at the ocean.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Look up the Minelab Exterra pro it is in your price range. There are also a lot of YouTubers using it with good results even at the ocean.
If it's very salty you can't use it on wet sand/in the waves

I know as I own one which on the same are the Deus 2 is fine even in the waves and the xTerra looses it's mind on the wet sand

Would recommend it as a budget detector for woodland/farmfield and parks

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I also recommend the Minelab Xterra Pro. I use mine all over the beach including the wet.
Lightweight, waterproof and easy to manage. At $269 it’s the best bang for the bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread