Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharp Shooter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, read tons on here and considering a new detector. I'm hesitating because of the finds I had with my current detector. So far found a Dragoons button pre civil war, large cent, coin from Netherlands 1826 which was a good 10 inches. Currently using bounty hunter ultra mag sharp shooter. I started in August of 2012 and really got the fever this past may. I hunt really trashy areas and fields mostly away from salt water and would not be doing any under water, just creek beds and such at most. Any advice, maybe it's my own foreshadowing of buyers remorse. Just not sure it will improve my finds. I also found three silver rings and a gold ring in 2013 and about 10 silver coins including 1928 standing liberty quarter. Thanks for any input in advance.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any exp with that bounty hunter but the at pro is a great coin and relic machine for the price.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike,

Your finds will improve with the AT Pro. The ground Balance capabilities will allow for more depth. The DD coil will help with finding good targets in iron. The waterproof feature will allow you to hunt in areas you can't go with the Bounty Hunter.

Give me a call or PM if I can answer any questions for you. The AT Pro Spring Special is a great value.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the videos on the Garrett website. AT Pro and AT Gold.

artman60

Greenie
Dec 13, 2013
Pepperell, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Whites Surfmaster PI Dual Field, Garretts Propointer, Garretts AT Pro, Fisher 1280x, and a Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought an AT Pro last April, and love it. Not real familiar with the Bounty Hunter's. One thing I came to appreciate with the Pro is the 5X8 coil. For parks, and smaller areas, it is great at separating out the targets, and really balanced well. I don't now if the Bounty Hunter lets you swap coils easily. I'm guessing you would be keeping the Bounty hunter for a back-up/spare? I don't think much else compares with the Pro in it's price range, especially if the waterproofness is important. Let us know how you decide, and how you do with the new machine, if it happens, good luck Artie

OP
OP
M

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it should be here Friday and temps have been above freezing. Going to hit some sites I believe are cleaned out, after I figure out settings and will post results. Found some wheaties and 56 dime Sunday in less than an hour with the bounty hunter

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an AT PRO, I have hunted with a few other machines too but I just like the PRO. I am not saying there are none better, I paired mine up with the 8" x 5" coil and some Gray Ghost headphones so I got a nice lite machine which if I am out and get caught in a downpour I don't care. Or maybe I find a stream or pond that I believe may hold some treasure, I just jump right in. I have found some interesting stuff with this machine and I know the sounds well enough to know when she is calling my name, telling me to dig, she hasn't let me down yet.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same set up I run badpenny, I think its awesome! I never use any of my other coils!!!
I own an AT PRO, I have hunted with a few other machines too but I just like the PRO. I am not saying there are none better, I paired mine up with the 8" x 5" coil and some Gray Ghost headphones so I got a nice lite machine which if I am out and get caught in a downpour I don't care. Or maybe I find a stream or pond that I believe may hold some treasure, I just jump right in. I have found some interesting stuff with this machine and I know the sounds well enough to know when she is calling my name, telling me to dig, she hasn't let me down yet.

OP
OP
M

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the advice of watching videos and went with the spring special. Can't beat it since it comes with the 5x8 coil. I'll be hitting an area that I have already found 3 rings and a bunch of old coins including around six silver pieces. Its full of foil and beer tabs so it should be a good test. Used for a dump and picnics at varying times over the last 100 years.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means let us know how you do. Here in NE PA the ground is still frozen so I haven't even thought about digging yet, and believe me I got the bug bad. My shovel man who is in his mid seventies knows where there are two old home sites long since abandoned and covered over with brush, we plan on getting permission to check out the place and see if we find anything good. This will be one of my first stops. Next up is an old farm, which I have permission to hunt, and the old farmer is more excited than me to have me check out some old building foundations which he claims have never been detected. We'll see... I just love being out with my buddy and dog, enjoying life to the fullest. And if I find something good all the better but I never sell anything, I guess I have to start soon.

OP
OP
M

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly, I'm in Lehigh Valley. You can dig where the ground gets full sun. Saturday should hit 60 so I'm really hoping it comes tomorrow. Only issue I had last week was once you get down a few inches it's pretty frozen.

2TallHunter

Greenie
Mar 11, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great machine as long as you are not using it in saltwater or salty wet sand. And forget about the black sand. It works great on land and fresh water.

------------------------------------
AT PRO, Pro Pointer, Garrett Digger, Homemade Sand Scoop, 2014 - 1 Gold Ring, 2 Silver Rings, 1 1943 Silver Dime, $122 Clad Coins, 343 Bottle Caps, 432 Pull Tabs

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a great machine as long as you are not using it in saltwater or salty wet sand. And forget about the black sand. It works great on land and fresh water.

Not true, been using one in the Atlantic ocean since the machine's introduction with no problem. Found a small hook about 10" deep at low tide. Turning down sensitivity really doesn't affect target detection too much. The key to beach hunting is ground balance. Balance in the dry sand, again in wet sand and again in water. Is it perfect? No, but it isn't a $1000 PI machine that can't a nail from a good target. Wait.... that isn't perfect either. Give it a try, you'll like it.

OP
OP
M

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll post a pic later, went to the inlaws, where i have a few hundred hours in. First day with at pro and 5x8 coil and i found gold! So i will give it to the owner, my wife's grandmothers wedding ring engraved and all. Been over that spot 100 times. Funny thing is her kits never knew it was lost. It was in with 3 bottle caps, she doesn't know yet but after church i want the story about the one on her finger now. This is original looks just like a 52 ring would

OP
OP
M

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Date.jpg size.jpg

After talking to her this morning she figures she lost it about 30 years ago and just thought it was gone, which is why the kids really weren't aware

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on that ring recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread