construction sites?

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
i was wondering about hunting construction sites. there were a couple in my town that i missed out on... one of them might have been a good one, even... they tore up the ground at the high school to build a new middle school on that property as well... oops... ::) i would assume you need permission to hunt construction sites, right? who would you ask for permission anyway? construction workers???

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I like to hunt a constuction site right after the dozer lightly scapes the sod, but before they put up the barrier fencing. most times there is a 1-3 day interval between. Wait for the dozer crew to go home and have at it. Early mornings(get there at gray light) on the weekends works pretty well.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permission smermishin.

I treat every construction site as a unique opportunity. Sometimes permission is advisable, sometimes not so much. If there is a fence many times you can secure permission by talking with the foreman. If there is no fence and it is clearly a city project I often times just wait till everyone goes home. I have secured permission at many private demos and many times the owners are very excited about their projects and are very friendly.

There was once a city project that had a fence around it. Most of us could not resist and we found a hole in the fence. We hunted the crap out of that place. The whole time we had to pass the door to the police station on the way to the breech in the fence. I think the cops stopped us once but since we had such a good relationship with them they just let us be.

Finds? Gold coins, tokens and much to much silver to talk about.

I would not advise crossing fences. There was just something about this site that made it unique.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I hunt them every chance I get!

I went to one location, fence all around it, so parked the car and walked onto the job site and the foreman came out of the trailer, I told him what I was doing, he said "sure, just be careful!" No problem.

After HOURS of exploring, digging, filling a bag of GREAT old bottles, 5 marbles and an old make-up compact I head to my car to discover they locked me IN! Thankfully my car was on the other side of the fence BUT now I had to figure out how to get out...didn't panic just thought 'where there's a wll, there's a way' So I looked for uneven ground bottom of the fence...slid my bag and detector under...and then shimmied out the same way...ha. This was on a Saturday!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I hunt old-town demolition sites all the time, with no hesitation. I just wait for the workers to cut out at 5pm. They can be anything from 1) no fence at all 2) a simple yellow ribbon and some cones (like for sidewalk demolition), 3) a sloppy joke of a fence that has a gate that swings wide open, no signs, etc... to 4) full-blown tight fencing. So it all just depends on what level of scrutiny you're talking about. But go figure, there are people on the forum that won't even go to a public SAND BOX without "permission", so you're asking a loaded question.

You gave, as an example, a public shool demo. in your city. Using that as an example: they tore down and out portions of our old high school in my city, years ago. In the process, they ripped out all the deep thick crab grass from the inner court, where ....... for 80+ years, hundreds of kids each day sat to eat their lunch. This particular site did have fencing, but I would categorize it as the "joke" kind that you merely walk right through wide gaps, or un-do the bailing wire "latch", etc... We hunted it for 2 straight weeks, in full view of Main St. traffic, with after-school staff (a portion of the school was left operable) just passing by with nothing more than a friendly wave. Never had a problem. Of course, that was with a public school, so someone might argue that a privately owned site would be different ::) We found hundreds of silver coins, a silver dollar, a 2-cent piece, etc.... I suppose if we were to have asked at some bureaucrat's office across town, or to have asked the const. co, they might have had to pass it through their legal channels, take a vote, and say "no".

That is just one example. The only time I ever ask for demolition sites, is if there is just no other possible way to access it (like if there are roaming guards, or whatever)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally just wait for the construction workers to head home at 5pm. Then have at it. I just try to stay out of their way.

Usually the only time anybody ever says a word is to ask what you are finding.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Tom_in_CA said:
We hunted it for 2 straight weeks, in full view of Main St. traffic, with after-school staff (a portion of the school was left operable) just passing by with nothing more than a friendly wave. Never had a problem. I suppose if we were to have asked at some bureaucrat's office across town, or to have asked the const. co, they might have had to pass it through their legal channels, take a vote, and say "no".

LOL. Yup, this is a good comparison between what some would consider the 'proper way' to do things and the 'real world'.

As a side note, if you wear a safety vest with the orange X, it will make you look more like you "belong" there.

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions