Consulted a Lawyer, Re.: the Coin-star return slot contents .....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just consulted a lawyer with the following question:

A) Assuming a coin-star machine is located on private property (Lucky's Grocery store for instance).

B) Assuming some of a customer's coins get rejected, and end up in the return-tray slot. Example: silver coins, foreign coins, gold coins, etc....

C) Assuming customer wasn't aware, (or didn't care) and walks away. Leaving the coins behind. Then ...

D) Who do those coins belong to? Assuming prior customer never comes back for them ?

E) Belong to the next lucky passerby who checks the return tray slot ?

F) Belong to the Store , on whose property the machine is located ?

G)
Belong to the Coin Star Vending machine Co's, who placed the machine there ?

H) Belong to the police , as Lost & Found Property ?

Here was the Lawyer's answer: "They belong to the Coin Star machine Co. " Not the store. And not anyone who passes by . And not the police, since it's on private property, not public ( and because presumably they aren't worth the $100 -or-more threshold anyhow). And he said there's usually a ph. # on the machine to call for questions, inquiries, claims, etc....

I asked him for his source/citation of law that would back up this legal opinion. He said that it's "common law". But that .... if someone cared to research it long enough, it would be in "case law". I asked "what case law can you cite?". He said that if I wanted to send them a letter, they would research further to provide the case law precedents. But that he was "100% confident".

I am not going to bother their firm to delve into it , to find case law precedents. As I don't want to test their patience :) But there you have it. That's the technical answer. Then he finished the phone call by saying he'd once found .50c in the change slot of the soda machine at their office lobby. And kept it. :tongue3:

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn... I hate asking your wife for money....

she makes me work for it :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working for daves wife makes me feel cheap.

:P

Errr... did that sound right ?

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If you don't get caught that means it's un-enforced.

If it's unattended its mine.

If there is no sign it's okay.

Asking for permission is what people who grovel do.

I've got to change my definition of 'Entitled Millennials' and add a higher age group.

...and for people offended by my post, here is your virtual therapy puppy.

View attachment 1391690
LOL

Attachments

• 15181132_10154744848632290_5135524569940420152_n.jpg
    15181132_10154744848632290_5135524569940420152_n.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

What more evidence do we need ? Crucify him !!!

I am going to turn you in to the Coin-star people. And they will serve a search-warrant on Treasurenet to reveal your home address via your IP address. Afterall, there can't be too many "Dave's" in Ft. Myers, FL. They will track you down & find you. But for a mere $20 via paypal immediately to me, I can be persuaded to keep quiet. It would be "our little secret". And the coin-star people don't need to find out about this.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If coinstar cared if you took the coins there wouldn't be a return/ reject opening for you to access.IMO It would be an internal tray that only coinstar could access.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What more evidence do we need ? Crucify him !!!

I am going to turn you in to the Coin-star people. And they will serve a search-warrant on Treasurenet to reveal your home address via your IP address. Afterall, there can't be too many "Dave's" in Ft. Myers, FL. They will track you down & find you. But for a mere $20 via paypal immediately to me, I can be persuaded to keep quiet. It would be "our little secret". And the coin-star people don't need to find out about this.

Hello Dave in Fort Myers, Florida....IF that is your real name! My name is Joshua and I am with Coinstar, Inc. I have been sent here undercover to investigate a complaint. We didn't know who you were at first but now we have your info. I would advise you to stay close to the house this weekend, as you will get a visit from a couple of people interested in your Coinstar dealings; namely just exactly how much you have stolen from us and for how long. If you cooperate peacefully, everything will go nicely. However, if you resist, we will be forced to lay the full weight of the law and use YOU for an example!

Actually, I have come to think that "Dave" is your alias, and Roger Goodell is your "real" name, so maybe we'll just have the search warrant issued in that name to begin with. However, let it be known that WE WILL NOT REST until you have made amends! Money is NO object in this matter. We will be there before lunch time Saturday, and we will be expecting to find you at home.

You have been warned!

Sincerely,
Joshua Schnizzlebucket
Criminal Investigations Dept.
Coinstar Inc.

8-)

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
common law? really, he's a Lawyer? not a very good one, any good one could win that case on either side.

It's a case of abandon property, my fingers found it, my fingers will keep it. chug-chink!
If coin star wanted it they would have an attend on duty.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YIKES guys...you've given me a lot to think about....
Excuse me while I delete threads past two years that I've started with my coinstar finds....
IMG_0788.JPG

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't help but wonder how productive the time spent by all the posting, reading, responding to this thread might have been if it had been spent swinging a coil somewhere...:dontknow::BangHead:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just dump the corroded zinc pennies. You KNOW they will be rejected. Then you can scoop them out of the return!! If there happens to be silver coins in there, theyre yours!! Hell, id take the silver coins anyway. I seriously doubt anyone is going to taddle on you!!

I still like my 17 quarters I found in the coinstar :)

EDIT:

I think what I'll do from now on, to bolster and quell my fears, is to dump some coins each time I go in, and if there are rejections, they're mine. And I'll spend the receipt in my shopping.

That looks like it would resolve all issues. After all, they were in the rejection tray after I dumped mine. Who's to question that?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep! Not every Coinstar machine does it, But about 2/3 of them do. There's an option at the beginning, of those that do, to have your money put onto a gift card receipt (it just prints the code on the receipt, and you enter the code on Amazon.com) They have gift cards for pretty much all over (lots of restaurants, shopping cards, etc).

They don't take a single cent out of the mix.

EDIT: Well... except those that end up in the nefarious-legal-zone of the reject tray. :headbang:

Thanks for the info Skippy. Have never used one of their machines.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I seriously doubt anyone is going to taddle on you!!

It's too late. We have your admission here in print. Admission of your nefarious intentions. This proves you had foreknowledge that the silver coins in there weren't yours. Only the zincs. And this proves foreknowledge of criminal intent.

Coin-star legal personnel have been alerted. :hello:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't help but wonder how productive the time spent by all the posting, reading, responding to this thread might have been if it had been spent swinging a coil somewhere.

These rambling semi-incoherent nonsensical inane topics often sprout up about the same time the detecting season up north goes into a deep freeze.

Coincidence?

I think not...

(oh, and if it wasn't for all the damn lawyers, we wouldn't need all the damn lawyers)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
These rambling semi-incoherent nonsensical inane topics often sprout up about the same time the detecting season up north goes into a deep freeze.

Coincidence?

I think not...

(oh, and if it wasn't for all the damn lawyers, we wouldn't need all the damn lawyers)

I never used to have any problem with lawyers or what they do. However, I got a copy of an old textbook from, I think it was Univ. of North Dakota from back in the 70's. Even then, they were teaching students how to twist the truth around in every conceivable way, and to try dreaming up new ways! Law went from actual law (what "is") to case law (what has been declared by a judge). This is simply wrong! Too many times people get off scott free because one lawyer can out-argue and out-lie another. It hasn't been about "The Truth" in a very, VERY long time!

We had to hire a lawyer some years back - young kid just starting out. He was so proud of his family and how he went to church and all. But I had to wonder, how can a Christian also be a lawyer? I mean, he "chosen" profession is one where the truth simply does not matter...unless it's to their benefit, THEN it matters! I don't think he had ever looked at it that way before, because when I asked him about that very thing, he never seemed as happy in hos work afterwards.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I can say, most Christian lawyers start by not judging people, their intents, or their professions, for one...

This is probably true (I say probably because I don't know all lawyers), but that's still not what my meaning was. My meaning was that in order for lawyers to do their job in a court of law, they are sometimes bound to distort and sometimes even destroy the truth, or to even ignore it - depending on what works best for their client. My point was, who would "willingly" want to make a profession in a field where this is the norm? ...I don't know - that's why I'm asking!

Our young attorney had a growing family and lots of bills. It's not like he could switch the type of lawyering he was doing.

And don't misunderstand me - I am NOT judging lawyers!! I am judging what they are taught and what they have been taught in law school. They are "TAUGHT" that they must work this way. For some, they go into an area of law where they are not susceptible to having to face this predicament. But there are only so many of these types of positions available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread