What's new

Contestega or just another Wagon

100acre

Full Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2016
Messages
234
Reaction score
437
Golden Thread
0
Location
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a river ferry crossing and I believe it's a wagon wheel axle. I'll also found part of the ferry. I will go back later when I have my trailer to retrieve it. In the second picture if you look to the right hand side in the little dark black area you can see threads like the end of a bolt.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    835.9 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 4
I found something similar to that and just thought it was an old Tent Stake the threaded end was throwing me off. I will be watching. Happy Hunting
 
It looks like the front axle of a wagon. What kind, Conastoga, Studebaker, military, etc. is beyond my knowledge.
 
If from a wagon it would be from a more modern wagon than a Conestoga, a Conestoga had a wooden axle that was tapered to the "arm"...e.g. the spindle that was clad with iron and the wooden wheel hub also had a cast iron sleeve, the axle arm didn't have a nut to retain the wheel, but instead had a linch pin to keep the wheel on the axle, this was similar on most all 19th century wagons.

 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom