Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother, Roz, and I, went to a heavily pounded spot we have been to over the years. Not much happened for about an hour, til I found this little beauty! I wish I had my camera with me, but I didn't. Was found just off the main trail leading to the main cellar hole. It was in such great shape I thought it could be a repro,(which am still unsure of), but all the holes in this area have produced some banner finds including my RIA Belt Tip, and the CFT. KGIII, 25-83-A. This button gave a solid nickel signal, (as did my 85th Reg. Button), at 2-4". Almost didn't dig it as I thought it would be a shotgun casing. Glad I did. It was on the mound of what looked like an "out" building of some sort for the main cellar hole. Was somewhat protected be rocks from getting any deeper. It may be why it's in such great shape. By the way, if you hadn't seen it, I nicked it slightly with my shovel on the "A". AARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!! There is still quite a bit of dirt caked into it, am taking my time on cleaning. Measures 23mm. Any suggestions are welcome. P.S.......Also found a Flying Eagle at the same site today.....My second. Will post after cleaning..............Hogge

Attachments

• DSC00881.JPG
    DSC00881.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC00882.JPG
    DSC00882.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00883.JPG
    DSC00883.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00884.JPG
    DSC00884.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC00885.JPG
    DSC00885.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC00887.JPG
    DSC00887.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC00888.JPG
    DSC00888.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Upvote 9

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Nice one Hogge, what I know about those buttons you could write on the back of a stamp, but all I need to know, is that the guys who do know, rank way up high :notworthy: nothing wrong with selling finds, I sell everything and don't regret it one bit. Enjoy your momment Mate, then go out and find one of them buttons that Romeo found, and make it the fourth.:thumbsup:

SS

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one sweet button Hogge, congratulations and awesome banner find. Whereabouts were you guys?

Trying to figure out where to go today, just reading some pretty interesting history on the Whitney place up on top of October Mountain. You guys ever go up to Camp Eagle?

Again, congratulations, nice to see such beautiful finds coming out of the Berkshire soil.....

Steve

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But that still doesn't beat what Romeo's Dragoon button is worth, and it didn't make the banner.... so I don't think it's politics, I think it's a lack of knowing what relics are worthy. Today someone could post a common Civil War belt plate, several buttons, and bullets etc., and it would hit the banner in a flash. For coins you can usually look in a book to see rarity and value, but I honestly believe many people just don't understand the difference between a Rev War pewter and a Civil War eagle button. Romeo's find is thought to be one of three, where as there's thousands and thousands and thousands of eagle buttons. You can even make a comparison like that to the more common CW plates because there is a lot of those too... but a lot of people identify a plate as a great find and deserving to be on the banner. Same thing for a nice condition Spanish silver compared to a very rare copper that might not look so great. Many people freak out about the $50 coin but only a small amount do over the one worth $2,000.

I bet if you dug an intact spigot it would be up there. :laughing7:

I disagree with you, as far as the civil war stuff making banner vs the Rev stuff. What is the last CW relic that landed there? Oh yeah a CSA Plate? ANd prior? WHo knows? AS far as im concered any quality relic that is hard to find deserves banner recognition way before a 1916d merc :icon_scratch: ANd thats the way we do it. There are alot of finds in the CW group and the REv war group that deserve a banner slot, that obviously dont make it becasue the previous owners enjoyed bling. And now the current ones dont know jack. So you have to run around and protest to get a beauty of a find to where it deserves, as where a VERY questionable Cache pops up immediately. I dont even know why there had to be an argument and a march and protest and near Riot in the street to get this on the banner. Just goes to prove that its a coinshooters site bro~Nothing shinny deserves recognition over something of HUGE HISTORICAL SIGNIFIGANCE PERIOD

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LIKE I SAID........"It's ALL about bustin' BaL.$" OUCHIE!!!!!!!

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Hogge! I'm hoping to find one myself one day...yeah right! Congrats on the find and the BANNER!!!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
It's about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found this rare late 19th century pull tab. When's that going to make it up there?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree with you, as far as the civil war stuff making banner vs the Rev stuff. What is the last CW relic that landed there? Oh yeah a CSA Plate? ANd prior? WHo knows? AS far as im concered any quality relic that is hard to find deserves banner recognition way before a 1916d merc :icon_scratch: ANd thats the way we do it. There are alot of finds in the CW group and the REv war group that deserve a banner slot, that obviously dont make it becasue the previous owners enjoyed bling. And now the current ones dont know jack. So you have to run around and protest to get a beauty of a find to where it deserves, as where a VERY questionable Cache pops up immediately. I dont even know why there had to be an argument and a march and protest and near Riot in the street to get this on the banner. Just goes to prove that its a coinshooters site bro~Nothing shinny deserves recognition over something of HUGE HISTORICAL SIGNIFIGANCE PERIOD

If you want to go back and look at the last several years banner finds to give the CW numbers that were up there I'll reply to that number. But it doesn't really matter because I was just making a general point that most people don't understand the rarity of any Rev War button compared to some of the common stuff we see all the time. Should every Rev War button make it? No. I have dug many over the last 12 or so years and some probably would deserve to have been up there, and some not. (most were found before I joined here) But some rare finds on this site have not made the banner apparently because they wouldn't create a pretty enough picture, which is ridiculous.

PS: There was a thread recently about finds making the banner too easily so if there's some people making the choice that don't really have a lot of experience they probably feel damned if they do and damned if they don't. So you have to give credit where it's due because the button is up there now.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on the awesome button :headbang: !!!!!

TommNJ

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what a sweet button dude! congrats on the banner! and welcome to the continental army club!

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Very Nice! Glad you made Banner...I dug one a few years ago, but it wasn't considered worthy I guess...to me, anything like this is a heart stopper!!

Congrats!
~Hank

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet button! Congratulations on finding it and making the banner! :icon_thumright: Breezie

vermonster

May 7, 2009
hootersville NY
Detector(s) used
whites prism IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to ya Buzzy!!!!Thats a Bea U tiful piece of history....Were gonna have to go out soon...

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on a great save and a great find, awesome button, a lot of history, just don't get any better. CONGRATS!!!!!

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting