Conversation with a Coinstar Tech goes South.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I do a walk by at the reject tray, no luck.... 5 minutes later, I see a guy standing there, with the door wide open, oh snap! Here we go...
"Excuse me sir?" I iniate the friendliness with my curiosity..."any good rejects?"
No....
So basically he explains to me that there is a trap chute, calls it a crap chute, where 90% of the rejects go into a bin, the other 10% goes into the reject tray.
I believe him too, cuz sitting there was a half gallon sized plastic bucket, packed with half dollars, among a butt load of who knows what. Goes on to say that Canadians, Caribbean, and Euro coins are sent to a facility in D.C. For metal recycling.
There is software inside that only accepts clean, American coins, but there are updates coming...

Asks me if I'm a coin collector..... ummmm... yeah.
So am I he says...:BangHead:
Says he's got THOUSANDS of silver coins, 4 gold coins and 2 wedding bands....
I'm about to faint, or throw up......all I can do is think if this guy needs a helper.

So, inside the open door, there were hundreds of coins on the floor, I am drooling.

So my TreasureNet memory leads me to the Coinstar legality thread from a couple months ago, I ask the guy if I could take a picture of the guts of the machine, knowing I wasn't gonna score Jack from him. He steps to the side, closes the door, and then....

He says to me....
Wait for it.....

"Sir, for my safety and the security of my Company's property, I have to ask you to walk away, nice talking to you"

Guys, I ain't gonna lie, looking at the inside of the Coinstar, was like seeing the hottest girl ever, and seeing what was under that dress.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, sounds like you scared the guy. I had no idea there was an internal catch bucket for the goodies. Can you imagine how much silver those things take all over the country? Coin roll hunters ain't got sheee on the army of these machines.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
they got a saying about that

it's called adding insult to injury,,kicking a guy when's he's down ...I could go on

that's what people are throwing away these days in those things, there's got to be a little room for competition as well...they started out with atms monopolized , now everybody got one , maybe there's an opportunity out there for a hard working guy to put some in a neighbourhood and keep them serviced and "cleaned out"

I will be working on my business plan lol...

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee. What could ever be done to possibly put a coinstar machine out of commission. Nothing I can think of.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How could it be deemed legal for them to be able to keep items that they deem rejects? Isn't it still the customer's belongings if Coinstar doesn't want it? Maybe the custimers want their belongings back if Coinstar doesn;t want them or want to pay for them. Sounds like theft to me on the part of Coinstar!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could it be deemed legal for them to be able to keep items that they deem rejects? Isn't it still the customer's belongings if Coinstar doesn't want it? Maybe the custimers want their belongings back if Coinstar doesn;t want them or want to pay for them. Sounds like theft to me on the part of Coinstar!

Theft is Coinstars business model. You put your money in there and they take some of it, just for the pleasure of being able to look and listen to that green beast.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gee. What could ever be done to possibly put a coinstar machine out of commission. Nothing I can think of.

An F-350 doing 60 mph.

Degypt

May 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From coin star site
Coinstar cannot accept Eisenhower silver dollars, 1943 steel pennies, pure silver, commemorative or foreign coinage. They may not be recognized by our kiosk or returned to you. Items such as keys, jewelry and other valuables should also not go into the kiosk.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How very interesting..

Now if you'll excuse me I have an application to fill out.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Should have offered to buy the silver and gold coins from him (in his off time). If he's getting them for free and isn't a collector, he's probably just hoarding and would have let them go for a good deal.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mostly all other bank coin sorters have an INTERNAL REJECT BIN that you don't see, that collects all the JUNK. Knowing a head teller, I was able to get two wedding rings that way several years ago. I still get some junk every now & then when I catch her at the machine. BUT, banks will not normally save the junk on the side for you.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magner machines have a Red junk bin that the CU empties & buys treats for the staff or donates to charity.

think I may buy a Coinstar on Ebay :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That service tech is playing with fire. The coinstar tech guy I know says he has been set up by coinstar with silver coins to ee if he would take them. I learned this because I had asked him about swapping out coins but then he told me that story. But I did make friends with a manager at a grocery store that would let me look thru that crap bin..came across tons of silver mostly dimes..first time tho I found a Morgan! Eventually it ended due to his boss catching wind. Towards the end it seemed like the coinstar was recalibrated because the silver almost stopped.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
reminds me of the time I saw Christie Brinkley skinny dipping at night in a pool
she asked me to dry her off I had to tell her I didn't have a towel

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
reminds me of the time I saw Christie Brinkley skinny dipping at night in a pool
she asked me to dry her off I had to tell her I didn't have a towel

"CLARK!!"

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks....now I'm gonna have to go watch it....AGAIN.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a few foreign coins in a dump at my local bank machine and,.. they never came back out. I have asked numerous tellers who open the machine if there is an internal trash bin and they assured me there is not but on a different style machine they have given me the rejects out of a small internal trash bin. I guess they don't know or play it really close to the vest.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still find it hard to believe anything that any employee of a bank or coin machine tech Or whatever says about coins machines. I have heard people working on coin machines say things to me that even I knew weren't true. One of my favorites was "hey you can't put those in there the machine keeps breaking because of those silver dollars". Long story short I had to explain they were half dollars for 10 minutes and the machine does take them. How about TD bank penny arcade rejects silver. Almost every time a teller opened the machine to change bags I saw endless amount of silver coins. I saw half dollar bags that were almost entirely silver pulled out of those machines. The point is, believe nothing those people tell you and figure it out for yourself.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you have me looking for a job at Coinstar!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread