Converting your wired T2 to Wireless Bluetooth Headphones or earbuds

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you tired of being teathered to your metal detector by the headset wires? Ever caught the wires on a bush or tree branch and ruined an expensive pair of headsets? Ever put the detector down to recover a target and forgot about the wire tying you to your detector and off flies the headsets? You're not alone...yes, I've had all these things happen to me and went through a few headsets and earbuds prematurely.
Now I came up with a way to get rid of that wire teathering you to your detector and you can use your existing wired headsets or go entirely wireless by also purchasing a pair of bluetooth wireless headphones or bluetooth wireless earbuds. The key to using bluetooth technology for audio on a metal detector is using APT-X LL (low latency) bluetooth transmitters and receivers. I found quite a few of them online, however one in particular caught my attention. The Trond Model BT-DUO Wireless Transmitter & Receiver. This small unit, which measures 1 1/4" wide x 1 3/4" long x 3/8" thick can function as a transmitter or a receiver (depending on which switch position you chose). These units will get 8 hours of use on a single charge.

To make this work, you will need 2 of these Transmitter & Receiver units and also the following items. Those of you who use 1/4" headphone jacks might wish to purchase a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter jack, You will need a 1/8" 90 degree short headphone extension cord jack and a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone adapter jack to make the connection to the unit you use as the bluetooth transmitter. Because I had some of the adapters and jacks already, my total cost was less than $60.00 (the price for the 2 transmitter & receiver units.
If you already own a pair of bluetooth APT-X LL headsets it will only cost you $30.00 because you will only need one Transmitter & Receiver unit (which you will use as a transmitter) (your bluetooth headset is the receiver that you will pair with).
To those of you using wired headsets, you will pair the unit you use as the transmitter to the unit you use as the receiver (the one you plug your headsets or earbuds into).
A very simple yet inexpensive way to go wireless and a much cheaper way to go than ruining a pair of $100.00 + headsets.

Last edited:

ScoTTT2

Jul 19, 2021
steuben county, ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeing how this thread has a couple months on it .. I was wondering how it has been working for you and if you still like it .. would also be interested in a photo of how the transmitter hooks up on the machine .. I went through a few headsets before buying a pair of Grey Ghost platinum, they are great headphones but get a bit sweaty at times and as you say, I'm tethered to the detector.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a plan to me. I’ll check out both
and choose. I’ll probably use lightweight on ear phones
and attach them and receiver to a cap like I did with
wm 08 when I has my equinox. Otherwise I use same
Phones and coil cord as they stretch when snagged.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Originally I was going to get two TX/RT's to use my regular headphones, but I was just thinking that I have BT ear buds for my phone. So I can just use one and have the other ear available to hear my surroundings. No sweaty ears!

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
So, here's what I did.

I attached a BT adapter to my T2 detector so I could use my cell phone ear buds. $20 plus $6 for the 1/4 TO 1/8th inch adapter.

I upgraded my T2 Teknetics metal detector to work with my blue tooth phone earpieces. The BT adaptor can either transmit or receive. I have it in the transmit mode. I turn it and the earbuds on and they automatically pair up. I used some heavy-duty self-stick velcro to mount the transmitter to the detector.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0829S6K1...
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QNFGH6...

Murdoch

Aug 28, 2022
So, here's what I did.

I attached a BT adapter to my T2 detector so I could use my cell phone ear buds. $20 plus $6 for the 1/4 TO 1/8th inch adapter.

I upgraded my T2 Teknetics metal detector to work with my blue tooth phone earpieces. The BT adaptor can either transmit or receive. I have it in the transmit mode. I turn it and the earbuds on and they automatically pair up. I used some heavy-duty self-stick velcro to mount the transmitter to the detector.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0829S6K1...
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QNFGH6...

Thank-you I had wondered if there was a simple way to do this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions