warbike39

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these live .50 Caliber Browning Machine gun rounds in the Arizona desert at the end of last season.
I had found several casings before but these were the first live rounds I had detected. General Patton trained his troops all over the Western deserts of Arizona and Eastern California and there are still interesting things to be found.

Attachments

• 20210308_142832.jpg
    20210308_142832.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 8

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these live .50 Caliber Browning Machine gun rounds in the Arizona desert at the end of last season.
I had found several casings before but these were the first live rounds I had detected. General Patton trained his troops all over the Western deserts of Arizona and Eastern California and there are still interesting things to be found.
I found a whole belt when I was a kid. the neighbor told my mother they would blow up the house and he took them for disposal. Found out 40 years later he took them home. The were fired from a plane around here training for WW2. I have not found one in Black Jack Pershing's or Pancho Villa Camps

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are cool,, dust 'em off and load them up!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warbike NICE find I hope your displaying them. Could you lay like a 30-06 next to them and take another pictrue so people can see how much different is size the 50 is ?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warbike NICE find I hope your displaying them. Could you lay like a 30-06 next to them and take another pictrue so people can see how much different is size the 50 is ?
Did you know that the .50 was a scaled up 30-06? In all dimensions?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember my WWII color codes,the Silver tips are Armor Piercing Incendiary or API.The Silver with Red are Armor Piercing Incendiary-Tracer or API-T.Usually belted in a ratio of 4 API to 1 API-T. Really fun to shoot.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Need to hook up with the kid in Florida that found the two Barretts magnet fishing. That is a joke on the hook up of course.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Need to hook up with the kid in Florida that found the two Barretts magnet fishing. That is a joke on the hook up of course.
I remember reading an article about a WWII bomber,I believe a B-17 that went down in the Libyan desert with little damage. Years later a team of investigators inspected it and took samples of the ammo aboard for testing.When fired,the ammo performed right up to WWII standards for velocity and pressure.It was believed the extreme dryness kept it serviceable.Don,t know what that is apropos of,but there it is!:laughing7:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading an article about a WWII bomber,I believe a B-17 that went down in the Libyan desert with little damage. Years later a team of investigators inspected it and took samples of the ammo aboard for testing.When fired,the ammo performed right up to WWII standards for velocity and pressure.It was believed the extreme dryness kept it serviceable.Don,t know what that is apropos of,but there it is!:laughing7:
Interesting story, and I am sure the dry air preserved anything metal. I been to several old gold camps in the desert and cans still laying there from the 1800s. Looks like they were dropped fairly recently. Here in Tennessee with humidity/moisture, they would hardly be anything left of them.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story, and I am sure the dry air preserved anything metal. I been to several old gold camps in the desert and cans still laying there from the 1800s. Looks like they were dropped fairly recently. Here in Tennessee with humidity/moisture, they would hardly be anything left of them.
Same here in Arkansas,we got humidity,boy do we got humidity!!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thought people might like to see the difference in the 2 shells
I wasn,t dissing you Gare,just pointing out that the .50 is a greatly scaled up 30-06. 30-06 is one of the all time classic cartridges,so is the .50 Browning,from a classic sprang a classic. Both are ballistically balanced cartridges that have been around a long time and promise to be around a while yet. I agree with you,lots of people are familiar with the 30-06 and seeing it along side a .50 gives reference to the size of the .50.My post was intended as complimentary to yours,not as antagonistic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread