Cool Axe Head with a Thin Metal Rod for a Handle!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a cool axe head in the woods today. It has a thin metal rod for a handle! Doesn't look like the axe head was beat on to attach it to the rod. Maybe they heated it up first and then molded the head around the rod?

It's a big sucker, weighing in a 4 pounds, 2 ounces. I'm guessing it's a 3 1/2 pound head with the rod weighing 10 ounces. A real pain to carry 3/4 of a mile back to the car!

Any guesses as to how old this axe head might be? I've found at least a dozen axe heads, but never one with a metal rod for a handle.

DSC08430.JPG DSC08428.JPG

Upvote 13
That is a cool find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

metal_detector.gif
I pulled these from other TN threads...

United States Department of Agriculture
A Practical Ax Manual Brief History of the Ax. Here are a few pictures - a bunch more on the website

Axe Head (Mar 18, 2010)

Hammer (Better Pics) (Feb 20, 2008)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BULLETS ===========================================
metal_detector.gif
I pulled this from another TN thread...

Cool find but it would be a killer for chopping wood, or taking a tree down.
Starting to wonder if it was repurposed for a rod that going over the fire/spit that a pot hung off or fancy skew for hanging game over the fire?

Nice ax find. Congrats :thumbsup:

I love finding odd stuff when I'm out detecting. I've never seen an ax head with a metal rod attached to it. Strange, but interesting.

Cool find but it would be a killer for chopping wood, or taking a tree down.
Starting to wonder if it was repurposed for a rod that going over the fire/spit that a pot hung off or fancy skew for hanging game over the fire?

You could be right. I don't see how you could swing it with such a thin diameter rod. Doesn't feel right in my hand. Very odd find!

Cool relic, congratulations! :occasion14:

I think I'm going to have to change my handle to Iron Man! LOL! I really do enjoy finding rusty iron relics.

Re-purposed for a hand held WEDGE maybe? One guy holds and another hits with hammer.
Marvin

Maybe, but the poll doesn't look like it was hit with anything.

AH THE OLE AXE HEAD ROUTINE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back