🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cool design in the breccia?

shimmi99

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2022
Breccia? Weird layered pyramid shape design any ideas what that is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna say it's more of conglomerate specimen than breccia. I'm thinking a fossil of some type got into the mix of various materials before it came to be all cemented into a solid piece. A rock that has many stories to tell, I would say it is.

Upvote 2
OP
S

shimmi99

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2022
I'm gonna say it's more of conglomerate specimen than breccia. I'm thinking a fossil of some type got into the mix of various materials before it came to be all cemented into a solid piece. A rock that has many stories to tell, I would say it is
I'm gonna say it's more of conglomerate specimen than breccia. I'm thinking a fossil of some type got into the mix of various materials before it came to be all cemented into a solid piece. A rock that has many stories to tell, I would say it is.
Thank you for taking you’re time to post your thoughts :)

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shimmi99

Strictly speaking, that is a breccia and not a conglomerate. The geological difference is that conglomerates are exclusively sedimentary and the clasts within the matrix are largely rounded or sub-rounded. Breccias can be sedimentary, tectonic, landslide/collapse/impact-related or volcanic/igneous in origin and the clasts within the matrix are mainly angular.

That particular clast with the concentric rings is interesting. The most commonly seen mineral with that kind of structure is ‘beekite’, which is a form of microcrystalline quartz that most usually arises by silica replacement of carbonate minerals during fossilization… especially for things like corals.

Beekite can be pretty much any colour, but is usually paler/browner than in your specimen. No easy way to be sure from your pictures, but that would be my guess.

Beekite1.jpg Beekite2.jpg

Upvote 3

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for taking you’re time to post your thoughts :)
Your very welcome, but I was wrong about it being a conglomerate, as it is a breccia as Red-Coat points out. However I do have an interesting piece I consider a conglomerate with copper oxide infused with in it. I picked it up at a copper mine located in what's called the Lisbon Valley in Utah, when I made a visit to the mines Drill and Blast forman.

Attachments

• 20221103_134555.jpg
    20221103_134555.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221103_134546.jpg
    20221103_134546.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread