Cool old Traverse City Beer Bottle, eyeball find while MDing!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Found this bottle from Jos. Gambs Brewery, Traverse City with the bottom sticking out of the mud under a cedar tree.
Called the micro brews in Traverse City, because I couldn't find anything on the brewery online.

When I got the guy in T.C. on the phone, the guy everyone told me was THE Brew history guy in town, he gave me a little history of the brewery.
He said it was only open for 5 to 10 years at the very begining of the 1900s. "There is nothing left of the brewery, but a little written history. No bottles or cases are left at all." The brewery made beer for the lumbermen, like many Breweries back then.

Neat bottle with lots of uneven glass, doesn't even stand straight, lots of bubbles, and the seam stops short of the top.

We will see if anyone in T.C. thinks the bottle is worth anything, but no matter what it is a very cool piece of local history!

Thanks for checking out the post.

Good Luck!
Mark

Attachments

• Gambs Bottle 2.jpg
    Gambs Bottle 2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Gambs Bottle 3.jpg
    Gambs Bottle 3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Gambs Bottle 4.jpg
    Gambs Bottle 4.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 344

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bottle! If that seam is lower that the top it is likely a little older than 1900. I very nice find indeed! :thumbsup:

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
Good eye Postma. Love those old crude bottles. Were you detecting at the time you spotted it? Here's a link where you might be able to find out more about the bottle - value or whatever. Let us know if you do.

http://www.brucemobley.com/beer/index.htm

To see your bottle click the library, then Michigan and scroll down to Traverse City

To ask a question click, what else?, Questions

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks and sounds like a nice find, might be a one of a kind, or very rare, Hope So, Congrats!

Good luck,
HH.

oldschool

Jan 25, 2009
muskegon
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
nice find,I also have one but it was a yard sale find.Would be intrested if you found the value.
thanks Randy

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Thanks everyone!

drgest said:
Good eye Postma. Love those old crude bottles. Were you detecting at the time you spotted it? Here's a link where you might be able to find out more about the bottle - value or whatever. Let us know if you do.

http://www.brucemobley.com/beer/index.htm

To see your bottle click the library, then Michigan and scroll down to Traverse City

To ask a question click, what else?, Questions

I see they show one on there too. Same bottle. So, there must be a few around! Thank you!

oldschool said:
nice find,I also have one but it was a yard sale find.Would be intrested if you found the vaule.
thanks Randy
I will let you know if I find out anything! T.C. is only about an hour away. (In fact my wife is there now!)

michiganbutcher said:
Nice find, Mark !
Thanks MB! It's no token but........... LOL!

Mike from MI said:
Awesome bottle! If that seam is lower that the top it is likely a little older than 1900. I very nice find indeed! :thumbsup:
Thanks Mike!

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Nice bottle mp. I never cared about them before, now things have changed. I'm trying to develope a nose for them. Must be a natural progression with this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions