RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cross at a construction site under an old road that had been dug out.. it’s copper or brass and very ornate. the area has houses that date to the early 1700’s. Any idea of the age? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514051193.661249.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514051210.163013.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514051229.462662.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514051244.761854.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514051272.946305.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Red! I wonder if it’s an older piece.. I can’t find any markings on it.

Upvote 0
Not sure of age, but man nice find, I like it :occasion14:

Upvote 0
Nice find. Looks 19th century. More recent ones would have been made of different metals and manufacturing methods. The actual shape is eons old, but they way yours is made, my best guess is 19th century.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, it’s strange how it ended up 8” under the middle of a busy road bed, it makes it even more interesting!

Upvote 0
That's one of the aspects of detecting that makes it interesting. That looks a very old piece. Who knows what was there when it was lost? May have been hauled in when the road was built? Something to ponder on Christmas morning :dontknow:
Thanks everyone, it’s strange how it ended up 8” under the middle of a busy road bed, it makes it even more interesting!

Upvote 0
Many years ago the Masons and other lodges routinely participated in holiday parades all done up in their full regalia, there was no electronic entertainment like we have now. Your cross was probably part of a medal or “jewel” and was lost during a parade. Great find !

Upvote 0
I didn't notice that you were from R.I. King rich.not to get your hopes up but new England was visited by the Templar knights.google the Westford knight.Its an engraving of a Templar knight in bedrock complete with sword and shield.theres a slash mark across the swords blade meaning the knight is dead.interesting hmm?also found on the east coast is a bronze shield,very similar to one that was auctioned off in england.i t really makes you think doesn't it..

Upvote 0
sometimes its more interesting to not know. Great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I didn't notice that you were from R.I. King rich.not to get your hopes up but new England was visited by the Templar knights.google the Westford knight.Its an engraving of a Templar knight in bedrock complete with sword and shield.theres a slash mark across the swords blade meaning the knight is dead.interesting hmm?also found on the east coast is a bronze shield,very similar to one that was auctioned off in england.i t really makes you think doesn't it..

Very interesting, I believe that the knights were definitely here but I’m not so sure that my cross could be that old. The area I found it in is about an 1/8 mile from the Narragansett bay where the Gaspee was burned in 1772. A very active colonial area that actually has a couple homes built in the late 1600’s still lived in today!

Upvote 0
Many years ago the Masons and other lodges routinely participated in holiday parades all done up in their full regalia, there was no electronic entertainment like we have now. Your cross was probably part of a medal or “jewel” and was lost during a parade. Great find !

I think that’s very possible Bruce, here’s a quote from some info I found online.

“Following in the footsteps of these pioneers individual Knights Templar appear in Pennsyl-vania (1779), South Carolina (where an Encampment of Knights Templar was formed in 1780), Nova Scotia, and in Massachusetts during the 1780's and 1790's. On 13 May, 1805 at a convention of Knights Templar held in Providence, Rhode Island, the convention adopted a constitution and declared the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar in the United States duly Formed. These then were the first men and freernasons who joined the large army of Knights Templar who have rallied to the call of the Beauseant, an army of Christian freemasons who have sworn to « hold their swords ever ready to be drawn in the cause to which they have so solemnly consecrated it. ».”

Upvote 0
Id say 19th century at the earliest. If it were older than that I would expect it to be more crudely made.

Upvote 0
old doesnt neccessarily mean crudely made.There were many very skilled artists years ago just as there are today.

Upvote 0
What’s so puzzling ? The 19th century was the great Industrial Age in this country, the metal turning lathe capable of cutting screw threads was invented in the 1720’s.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back