🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Copper disc with inscription

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, I found this object at a civil war site where a large amount of soldiers camped, also multiple slave quarters on the property. It doesn’t have anything on the back, it appears to have the letter d, then 12, and L&U. Not sure if this is a crop pickers token or possibly a civil war id tag, everything on the site is civil war or slightly predates it. I appreciate any responses and if you need better picture or have any questions let me know.

Attachments

• 1F87059B-15FF-46F3-AF79-ED58521CD8AA.jpeg
    1F87059B-15FF-46F3-AF79-ED58521CD8AA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 289

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DiggerKid2003, the markings might be giving us some clues about your brass disc's origin and purpose.

The number 2 has an extremely long curled-over top, which is a style of number-writing used in Britain/Europe during the Colonial Era into the early-1800s.

The symbol in between the letters, which you interpret as an Ampersand (the "and" symbol), is unusual, being very tilted way over to the left. That too suggests it is from Colonial-to-early-1800s.

Lastly... the single letter D above the other markings is a lower-case d -- which must have been done for an important reason. It might represent the abbreviation/mark for dram... and if so, that suggests the disc is an Apothecary weight or some other type of fine-gauge scale weight.

Upvote 9
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DiggerKid2003, the markings might be giving us some clues about your brass disc's origin and purpose.

The number 2 has an extremely long curled-over top, which is a style of number-writing used in Britain/Europe during the Colonial Era into the early-1800s.

The symbol in between the letters, which you interpret as an Ampersand (the "and" symbol), is unusual, being very tilted way over to the left. That too suggests it is from Colonial-to-early-1800s.

Lastly... the single letter D above the other markings is a lower-case d -- which must have been done for an important reason. It might represent the abbreviation/mark for dram... and if so, that suggests the disc is an Apothecary weight or some other type of fine-gauge scale weight.
Thanks for the knowledge as always! I wasn’t expecting it to be that early, would it be a weight considering how thin it is? I’ll definitely have to do some more research, I figured it was a crop pickers token but it doesn’t seem like it now.

Upvote 3

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Neat piece! How much does it weigh? Like Cannonball Guy I thought it could be a weight. I like his idea of apothecary drams. I had been thinking the "d" was a penny and 12d=shilling so it could be a bullion weight.

eta 12 drams would probably be much too heavy. A shilling would be about 5 grams.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat piece! How much does it weigh? Like Cannonball Guy I thought it could be a weight. I like his idea of apothecary drams. I had been thinking the "d" was a penny and 12d=shilling so it could be a bullion weight.

eta 12 drams would probably be much too heavy. A shilling would be about 5 grams.
I’ll have to check when I get home, Weight might be a little off, it’s wore down.

Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, lower case d is Penny. 12 Penny Weight.
Needs a weight, but it does seem to be leading to a Bullion Weight ID.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, sorry for the late response. It weighs 0.064 ounces, as I said it seems pretty wore down, may not be original weight
Which if I have done my calculations properly (?) is close to 1.2 Pennyweight. So maybe there is a missing dot & it's not 12 but 1.2?

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is tough.
It looks likely it's some kind of Weight but it doesn't fit well into any of the 3 main types;
Coin
Medicine
Bullion

If it's not a Weight then a Token or Check is the next best fit as the L&U (probably the Trader) might have produced it but why a 12 Penny denomination when you would normally say Shilling instead!

Odd, what we do know is the lettering fits a late 18th-early 19th C timeline.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one is tough.
It looks likely it's some kind of Weight but it doesn't fit well into any of the 3 main types;
Coin
Medicine
Bullion

If it's not a Weight then a Token or Check is the next best fit as the L&U (probably the Trader) might have produced it but why a 12 Penny denomination when you would normally say Shilling instead!

Odd, what we do know is the lettering fits a late 18th-early 19th C timeline.
Exactly, I’ve been looking for the past week and can’t find anything similar, it reminds me of a crop pickers token but it’s definitely too old, I don’t think they were used that early.

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, I’ve been looking for the past week and can’t find anything similar, it reminds me of a crop pickers token but it’s definitely too old, I don’t think they were used that early.
Why not, our hops tokens have been used since the Medieval period.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not, our hops tokens have been used since the Medieval period.
I don’t think they were used until the mid 19th century, mostly in the early 20th, if I’m not mistaken. I can’t find any early examples, atleast in the US.

Edit: I guess it could be an early British hops token, the lettering looks pretty similar, gonna do some more research. Maybe an early communion token?

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread