What's new

Copper Field gives up another LARGE COPPER

Evolution

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
5,285
Reaction score
2,483
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back out to the copper field today. Very chilly when I started the hunt (8:30). It was about 35 degrees. After the sun rose a little further it warmed up and I got a little more comfortable. The first hour of the hunt was pretty uneventful but then I got a nice quarter hit on my DFX. I pinpointed the signal and the depth was about 5 1/2 inches. I felt pretty confident that I had something good when I began to dig. This signal was exactly the same as the 1847 Large Cent signal I dug a couple hunts ago. Sure enough, up comes this 1846 Braided hair Large cent. :o ;D At this point I began trash talking to imaginary people (I was after all hunting by myself)........Hey give me a break, I had to brag to somebody. ;D Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera out into the field today so no action shots of the coin in the hole (sorry). Here is what the coin looked like when I got it home (uncleaned obviously). I am currently soaking it in hot peroxide (Don's method) and i will post better pics in a little while. NOTE: BETTER PICTURES NOW ATTACHED AT END OF POST....

Obverse
IMG_0943.webp

Reverse
IMG_0944.webp

I found this coin about 25 to 30 feet from where i found the 1847 large cent so I decided to concentrate my efforts here for a while. It paid off about 5 minutes later when i dug this button. It has a very nice design on the front and a backmark, which i cant read yet. (It's currently soaking with the coin.)

IMG_0941.webp
IMG_0942.webp

The next find was this thingamajig. I have no idea what it is. It appears to be made out of brass and has a very ornate design on it. If anybody has any ideas as to what this might be, I'd appreciate any input. I included a picture of it with the large cent for size comparison.

IMG_0951.webp
IMG_0953.webp

The finds in this area began to dwindle so I decided to head into another field. I parked the quad about halfway in the field and began to swing the coil in the direction of the far end of the field. After walking a good 100 to 150 yards I began to pick up some iron hits, the first of which was this nice stirrup. It appears to be in pretty good shape.

IMG_0946.webp

The next iron hit was literally an iron hit. I dug this old flat iron at about 4 inches. This thing weighs a ton. I had to walk back to the quad and leave it there. There was no way that thing could fit in my pouch.

IMG_0948.webp

I was beginning to think I stumbled onto another home site because I started to find some silverware. None of the silverware was intact....just pieces.

IMG_0945.webp

The next hit was another axe head. These people go through axes like i go through socks. I've found 4 or 5 at this site so far. Then again it's a big site and they probably weren't all lost by the same person.

IMG_0949.webp

The next find was a harmonica reed.....my first ;D.

IMG_0950.webp

Here is one more picture of the days overall take. You'll notice alot of pottery shards and some glass. These were all eyeball finds in the same area that I was finding all of the iron. I only picked up a few pieces. It was lying all over the place. Thanks for looking and happy hunting. Check this post later and I will have updated it with cleaned pictures of the coin and button.

IMG_0938.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds Evo

Very nice LC. And yup, that's what's left of a crotal bell. I've found about 5 or 6 of them but they were still in one piece. They were all even still jingly once I cleaned them out.

As to your thingamajig, I don't think it's a thingamajig at all. I'm pretty sure that it is actually a doohickey.

WTG,
SgtSki
 
Nice bunch of finds. I have 2 guesses for the whatzit: either a candlestick or knife handle?
 
That some nice finds, the best thing found is that iron!!!!
Joe
 
Your 1846 cent is a "tall date" variety. There are several die marriages of that year with the tall date. It is a little scarcer than the "normal date", but not rare. There is also a "medium date" that is slightly scarcer. Nice find. The only large cent I dug this week is the one I buried as a test target.
 
willie d said:
Nice bunch of finds. I have 2 guesses for the whatzit: either a candlestick or knife handle?
The candlestick holder is an interesting idea. It's pretty flimsy and it's crushed flat, but i can see how it might have been a candlestick holder at one time.
 
Merf said:
A great hunt EV---Congrats on those nice finds.
A Large cent is still on my wish list
Thanks for the response Merf. I enjoy reading your posts also. Theres always a variety of finds on them!
 
Its good to see that your copper coins are in such good condition. ;)

Congrats!
 
Very nice group of relics and coppers. Keep hitting it. Good luck.
HH, Mike in NJ
 
rhedden said:
Your 1846 cent is a "tall date" variety. There are several die marriages of that year with the tall date. It is a little scarcer than the "normal date", but not rare. There is also a "medium date" that is slightly scarcer. Nice find. The only large cent I dug this week is the one I buried as a test target.
Thanks for the info on the tall date variety rheddon. I'll have to go back and change that in my coin book now.
 
Hey, Rob, heck, I didn't see this post until now. I was gone most of the day today.

It looks like you are back to striking coppas! Awesome find on that Braided Hair! There should be some nice wilver at this site!

Keep making White's proud, buddy!
 
great finds!!
 
KirkPA said:
Hey, Rob, heck, I didn't see this post until now. I was gone most of the day today.

It looks like you are back to striking coppas! Awesome find on that Braided Hair! There should be some nice wilver at this site!

Keep making White's proud, buddy!
Thanks for the response Kirk. I'm looking forward to what the new and improved Bone Dry Datectin boyz pull out of the ground tomorrow. Best of luck to you guys.
 
silverfreak said:
W@W. Great digs buddy.
Thanks Silverfreak. Where do I get one of those lucky Harley tie dye t-shirts? I could always use more luck. :D
 
Nice Large One and the other finds are cool too. Bergie
 
some nice old stuff there. LC's are always a good find!
 
Nice job on the copper and the crotal bell remnants. I have never found a complete one either.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom