What's new

Copper Field gives up another LARGE COPPER

Evolution

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
5,285
Reaction score
2,483
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back out to the copper field today. Very chilly when I started the hunt (8:30). It was about 35 degrees. After the sun rose a little further it warmed up and I got a little more comfortable. The first hour of the hunt was pretty uneventful but then I got a nice quarter hit on my DFX. I pinpointed the signal and the depth was about 5 1/2 inches. I felt pretty confident that I had something good when I began to dig. This signal was exactly the same as the 1847 Large Cent signal I dug a couple hunts ago. Sure enough, up comes this 1846 Braided hair Large cent. :o ;D At this point I began trash talking to imaginary people (I was after all hunting by myself)........Hey give me a break, I had to brag to somebody. ;D Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera out into the field today so no action shots of the coin in the hole (sorry). Here is what the coin looked like when I got it home (uncleaned obviously). I am currently soaking it in hot peroxide (Don's method) and i will post better pics in a little while. NOTE: BETTER PICTURES NOW ATTACHED AT END OF POST....

Obverse
IMG_0943.webp

Reverse
IMG_0944.webp

I found this coin about 25 to 30 feet from where i found the 1847 large cent so I decided to concentrate my efforts here for a while. It paid off about 5 minutes later when i dug this button. It has a very nice design on the front and a backmark, which i cant read yet. (It's currently soaking with the coin.)

IMG_0941.webp
IMG_0942.webp

The next find was this thingamajig. I have no idea what it is. It appears to be made out of brass and has a very ornate design on it. If anybody has any ideas as to what this might be, I'd appreciate any input. I included a picture of it with the large cent for size comparison.

IMG_0951.webp
IMG_0953.webp

The finds in this area began to dwindle so I decided to head into another field. I parked the quad about halfway in the field and began to swing the coil in the direction of the far end of the field. After walking a good 100 to 150 yards I began to pick up some iron hits, the first of which was this nice stirrup. It appears to be in pretty good shape.

IMG_0946.webp

The next iron hit was literally an iron hit. I dug this old flat iron at about 4 inches. This thing weighs a ton. I had to walk back to the quad and leave it there. There was no way that thing could fit in my pouch.

IMG_0948.webp

I was beginning to think I stumbled onto another home site because I started to find some silverware. None of the silverware was intact....just pieces.

IMG_0945.webp

The next hit was another axe head. These people go through axes like i go through socks. I've found 4 or 5 at this site so far. Then again it's a big site and they probably weren't all lost by the same person.

IMG_0949.webp

The next find was a harmonica reed.....my first ;D.

IMG_0950.webp

Here is one more picture of the days overall take. You'll notice alot of pottery shards and some glass. These were all eyeball finds in the same area that I was finding all of the iron. I only picked up a few pieces. It was lying all over the place. Thanks for looking and happy hunting. Check this post later and I will have updated it with cleaned pictures of the coin and button.

IMG_0938.webp
 
Upvote 0
Here are some semi cleaned pics of the large cent. This hot peroxide method seems to be working pretty well so far.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0955.webp
    IMG_0955.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_0954.webp
    IMG_0954.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 777
Great digs, Congrats!!!
There sure has been a lot of large cents dug lately...
I think your ok if your just talking to yourself, it's when you answer yourself, you have to worry about it... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~
 
Leon said:
Great digs, Congrats!!!
There sure has been a lot of large cents dug lately...
I think your ok if your just talking to yourself, it's when you answer yourself, you have to worry about it... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~
Thanks Leon. I feel much better now. :D I always talk to myself. I'm going to post a better picture of the button.
 
Here is a better picture of the button. Can anyone make out the backmark?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0957.webp
    IMG_0957.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0956.webp
    IMG_0956.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 727
I found this today as well. Is this a crotal bell? I know its damaged but even so, if it is, it would be my first one.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0960.webp
    IMG_0960.webp
    8.2 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_0959.webp
    IMG_0959.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 707
I think you do have a croatal bell there. Keep on truckin with that peroxide (it takes 2 hours sometimes to stop bubbling). I think that baby will clean up nice for ya. Don't forget to give it a water soak when you're done. Those are some great relics from that site. I'm tryin to think of what that brass things is...it looks familiar to me but I don't really have any idea at this point.

Nice work!


-Buckles
 
BuckleBoy said:
I think you do have a croatal bell there. Keep on truckin with that peroxide (it takes 2 hours sometimes to stop bubbling). I think that baby will clean up nice for ya. Don't forget to give it a water soak when you're done. Those are some great relics from that site. I'm tryin to think of what that brass things is...it looks familiar to me but I don't really have any idea at this point.

Nice work!


-Buckles
Thanks for the response BB. I probably would have forgotten the water soak. That brass thingy sure has me perplexed.
 
Wonderful relics!! . . . All the eye-balled glass & stuff is really a good sign for things to come.

I love the stirrup and that LC. . . Nice!
 
Here is the end result. Much better than the 1847 i found last week. I included a picture of that one too.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0963.webp
    IMG_0963.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_0917.webp
    IMG_0917.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 611
Way to go, man, on the coppa! You are still 1.5 coppas behind me. :D

zoyster
 
zoyboy said:
Way to go, man, on the coppa! You are still 1.5 coppas behind me. :D

zoyster
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I was digging this coin. LMAO!! :D :D
 
Evolution said:
zoyboy said:
Way to go, man, on the coppa! You are still 1.5 coppas behind me. :D

zoyster
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I was digging this coin. LMAO!! :D :D
Hey Zoy. I remember that 1700 cut coppa you found. Wouldn't that make your total uneven too. Or did you find another clipped coppa this year that I didn't see? ;D
 
Nope, I only found that 1700 cut british copper! However, I am counting it as one copper, so you are only one copper behind the zoyster. :D

zoyster
 
Outstanding digs!

Way to go Evo!

You gotta love a great mix of relics, coins and buttons ;)

Keep diggin',

Nickel_B
 
A great hunt EV---Congrats on those nice finds.
A Large cent is still on my wish list
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom