What's new

Copper stashes?

never2late

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
San Antonio, Texas
So I have decided that while I wait for my half dollar boxes to come in, ill just search pennies or dimes. Have done 2 boxes of pennies so far, and have netted 17% copper. Just wondering how big the stashes of folks round here are? I mean I have 885 pennies to roll, i know that isn't anything compared to some here, but exactly how much do some of you guys have in copper?


HH jacob
 
Upvote 0
~70 lbs and that's not jack.

Someone I know of on another forum has about 300 lbs.
 
Think I read here the other night that someone has 2,500 pounds, something like that. I'm sure they will chime in or I'll go look for the post.

Okay, I have to look, that sounds crazy high. :laughing7:
 
I Probally have right around 40-50 pounds in pennies...i usally run around 30 percent when looking for coppers..and average about 12 wheats a box...i like looking thru the pennies cause i always find something..same with nicks
 
Damn...I think ill keep my mouth shut till I store around another ton or so lol. ;D

Just wondering, what is the market for wheats? I mean other than the fact that they are pretty cool I always here about people keepin em and I just dont see what is so special about them. I do keep mine separate, only because Im doin as the romans do :p

HH Jacob
 
AGCoinHunter said:
DigginThe ChristmasPast said:
That went quick. :D Post #4
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,368983.msg2620871.html#msg2620871

1.8 tons or 3,600 pounds. :o I underestimated. :D

Thats over 5 grand face value. The copper king. :notworthy:

:laughing7:

That's nothing. Several over on realcent forum have tons and tons of them. One guy on there operates an outfit called the Portland Mint where you can buy a ton at at a time. Thats the CU king! :)

I often ask myself how does this Portland Mint guy have all the funds to buy that much in pennies. Here's a link to his Ebay auction, trying to sell all of his coppers. He apparently also crowds the market on 2009-D dime boxes also. The dude must be some eccentric millionaire to buy up that much change. Wonder how he gets so many 2009-D dime boxes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/250-000-Face-Va...83?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f059e53db

On the issue of copper cents, prices on copper have been going up but yet prices on Ebay haven't for copper cents unless you got Canadian ones in the U.S. Typically prices are at $75 per $50 face value on Ebay plus $11.00 to ship them. I don't understand why prices haven't gone up. My guess is that since dealers aren't buying them, it's only people on Ebay that want them. Some sellers on there saturate the market making the price lower. My advice to anyone planning to sell their coppers on Ebay, don't saturate the market. Do one auction at a time.. not 4 auctions at once and definitely not $100,000 FV in coppers. There needs to be a perception of scarcity for them to price up.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
never2late said:
Damn...I think ill keep my mouth shut till I store around another ton or so lol. ;D

Just wondering, what is the market for wheats? I mean other than the fact that they are pretty cool I always here about people keepin em and I just dont see what is so special about them. I do keep mine separate, only because Im doin as the romans do :p

HH Jacob

Dealers will buy wheats.. the one around here gives 3 cents per common wheat and 4 cents per "S" mint. Of course prices go up for older wheats and wheat years for lower mintages. Get yourself a Redbook for coins and you'll find out.
 
I have about $125 face, or about 82 lbs, or $337 worth of copper.
 
1.5 tons at the moment.
Usually sell a ton at a time.
 
TXTim said:
1.5 tons at the moment.
Usually sell a ton at a time.

Who buys a ton of pennies at a time?
 
I have been saving for two yrs. not really searching rolls just pocket change and have 38 lbs of coppers. I turned in my copper scraps last week for 3.00 lb netted 296.00 cash from all dug items. They said they could not take the pennies.(agaist the law they said) I might have to break out the torches(lol)
 
jrandy said:
I have been saving for two yrs. not really searching rolls just pocket change and have 38 lbs of coppers. I turned in my copper scraps last week for 3.00 lb netted 296.00 cash from all dug items. They said they could not take the pennies.(agaist the law they said) I might have to break out the torches(lol)
They told you correctly. While it isn't illegal to sell copper and nickel US coinage based on futures pricing, it IS illegal to melt said coins. I would definitely not joke about this unless you want someone showing up at your door unexpectedly. Melt all of the Canadian you want! ;D
HH
enamel7
 
SFBayArea said:
I often ask myself how does this Portland Mint guy have all the funds to buy that much in pennies. Here's a link to his Ebay auction, trying to sell all of his coppers. He apparently also crowds the market on 2009-D dime boxes also. The dude must be some eccentric millionaire to buy up that much change. Wonder how he gets so many 2009-D dime boxes..

LOL. I checked it out. He's selling boxes of "Rare" 2009 Dime boxes, and he's sold 33 of these"Rare" boxes since August. I know they're low mintage, but "Rare"?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom