What's new

Copper thingy also recently found by umrgolf2010

tomlinson

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0

Attachments

  • GEDC0506.webp
    GEDC0506.webp
    135.8 KB · Views: 706
  • GEDC0512.webp
    GEDC0512.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 682
  • GEDC0513.webp
    GEDC0513.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 688
Man,thats exactly like Jeffs,I have been looking and cant find anything! :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Hi
I think you have some type of decorative picture rail hook.
Here are some similar.

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.142/.f?GCID=S14464x016&KEYWORD=frame%20molding%20hangers&partner=gpnc&s_kwcid=TC|7359|frame%20molding%20hangers||S|b|4067987679&gclid=COqezbzs56QCFQoTbAodKAU61g

roger
 
Upvote 0
I do not think it is a picture hook! It has more function as a scabbard
of sorts. The upper hooks would hold a horizontal handle where the
lower vertical tabs would secure and guide the blade. The top edge is
curved but not enough to hold on to anything securely. This one is
closer to it's natural shapes than the one of the earlier post. I think it
is exciting to find two items in different locations that are exactly the
same. Perhaps someone held the piece at the top and used it like a
handle to hold/pick up/use something else? The mystery deepens.
 
Upvote 0
After having looked at many "crowns" in my lifetime including coins, tokens, etc. I'd say that looks more like a French crown.
I also think that by having the two upturned "hooks," it is meant to suspend something... :dontknow:
Just my attempt to help...

Best,
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Several members think this is a scissor hanger but I am not so sure. Can you do an experiment?
Try to hang a scissors in this item and then try to hang it on a belt or shelf? Pics would be cool.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Several members think this is a scissor hanger but I am not so sure. Can you do an experiment?
Try to hang a scissors in this item and then try to hang it on a belt or shelf? Pics would be cool.
Good idea.
Why is there a straight line of, apparently-to-me, rust?
Mike :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
and then again :icon_scratch: can I see scissor handle shapes?
 
Upvote 0
Watch where you hunt in the Delaware water Gap area!! Some of it is off limits (national park???). One of our club members was arrested for hunting there!!!
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Several members think this is a scissor hanger but I am not so sure. Can you do an experiment?
Try to hang a scissors in this item and then try to hang it on a belt or shelf? Pics would be cool.
Good idea.
Why is there a straight line of, apparently-to-me, rust?
Mike :icon_thumleft:
I see the rust line but would scissors be rusty? I think no unless they were used outdoors.
 
Upvote 0
As others stated the crown looks french. although I dont see a 69, A crown and "69" are used on scissors as a mark of quality and Nogent, France is known for Quality scissors.
You can see the mark on this case, its a modern case but may be old company . cant read the name.
Dont know if this has anything to do with the relic or not but may be a lead to look into.
Maybe check french patents.
Also old does not mean large scissors, there are many antique sewing ,embroidery and hair scissors that are very small.
 

Attachments

  • 02C0801.webp
    02C0801.webp
    72.9 KB · Views: 424
Upvote 0
rodgerdodger said:
Hi
I think you have some type of decorative picture rail hook.
Here are some similar.

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.142/.f?GCID=S14464x016&KEYWORD=frame%20molding%20hangers&partner=gpnc&s_kwcid=TC|7359|frame%20molding%20hangers||S|b|4067987679&gclid=COqezbzs56QCFQoTbAodKAU61g

roger

Tomlinson and I hunt together and were stumped on this one. This is the best idea of what this could be that I've seen. A cord would have come around the two top hooks and channelled down through the center, the curved portion on top would be hung on a piece of crown moulding. Good one Roger!

cntrydncr1: As for hunting in DWG, the national park isn't marked, however you can see where the boundaries lay on Google maps. We definitely don't want to mistakenly end up in the park! Thanks for your concern and warning.
 
Upvote 0
I like the picture hanger idea better (because I dont think scissors will fit) but how does this explain the rust line?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I like the picture hanger idea better (because I dont think scissors will fit) but how does this explain the rust line?

That is a good question. It appears to be made of copper, possibly a rub line of some sort. Or maybe just the way it was sitting in the ground made a mark like that.

It is quite small for a pair of scissors to fit in, but we liked that idea because there was an old barber shop very close to the spot.

Cheers!
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • picture rail hook.webp
    picture rail hook.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 225
  • picture moulding.webp
    picture moulding.webp
    1.7 KB · Views: 240
  • picture hanging with slide rosette.webp
    picture hanging with slide rosette.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom