Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been following this thread and thinking and thinking and thinking, and all I can see is an amulet of some sort worn around the neck and broken off, possibly in a fight.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this mound probably isn't anywhere near to location of the relic. But seeing it made me go..hmmm... It is attributed to the Adena culture.

View attachment 1314126

The serpent mound is south and slightly east of Michigan.
A trade /travel route ran east/west just below the current southern Michigan border.
S.E. part of the lower peninsula had a long history, the S.W. too but just above the S.E. is a long time lithic material area.
Old copper culture ,I think red earth was around the great lakes too ,and the mound builders were well into Michigan in time.
Mounds near me kinda mid Michigan , are about as distant from the southern border as that border from the Serpent mound.
Similar/matching lithics have been found at similar distances ,suggesting more than seasonal migrations from valley's to lakeshore , though the north south estimation of travel ,while more distant could have been a migration.. Certain political/tribal conflicts could have caused a nearer/faster course to be risky or denied and multiple tribes existed at multiple times.

The one case of lithics had varied types representing varied cultures deposited at the same estimated time in those two sites , north and south of each other with quite a distance between them (my rough guess a hundred miles) making for a curious scenario.

Warfare shuffled the deck here repeatedly.

None of this means the item in O.P. is related to an Ohio mound. Yet may be related the mythology of a serpent.
A creature found farther west and all around the great lakes in native creations representing beliefs.
Being recovered in the vicinity of mounds and the great lakes area arouses my personal speculation of a time predating Mississippian or death culture era.
A very interesting piece it would be great to find out more on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is really out there, but could it possibly be a tool for making arrows ?

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ive looked and looked at it, all i can come up with is a very cool item
and since so much copper was used in its making that says important
for a member or maybe a deceased member of clan/tribe

here is someone closer you can contact, maybe he knows of someone
who might know something even if he doesnt, sorry all i could find
for Paul Schanen contact info is the FB pg
https://www.facebook.com/NativeAmer...0225169437066/497743227018592/?type=1&theater

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Native American nose ring!! Just kiddin cool find!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this mound probably isn't anywhere near to location of the relic. But seeing it made me go..hmmm... It is attributed to the Adena culture.

View attachment 1314126
yeah I think the serpent mound is in Ohio I found this in west Michigan about 30 miles inland on a river that flows into the big lake. But Ohio Is not all that far. I have sent images to ppl that deal in copper culture artifacts no one thinks it's Native American. Most seem to think middle eastern maybe somebody got it over seas and lost it and I happened to find it. Was a surface score

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like these and I posted this in the artifacts forum 1st just sayin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like these and I posted this in the artifacts forum 1st just sayin

I'm no expert on this topic by ANY stretch, but I have to agree with the other forum posters. I've looked at hundreds of Native American copper culture artifacts and nothing I've seen comes even close to the style, shape, or construction of your relic.

I saw some Celtic items that appear to be made using similar techniques, but I will tell you that I've read enough to know that no serious, main-stream archie/historian will give any credence to someone claiming to have Celtic/Viking/(insert any other early non-American culture) artifacts found in the central US. It seems the field is too small and too close-knit for anyone to risk their reputation.

Please keep us posted if anything else comes up.

Good luck

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly will I generally don't tell anyone I found it until after I send images for the reasons you mentioned just trying to figure out what it is first then step 2 find out how it got to where I found it. Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas it's nice sharing thoughts with like minded folk
I'm no expert on this topic by ANY stretch, but I have to agree with the other forum posters. I've looked at hundreds of Native American copper culture artifacts and nothing I've seen comes even close to the style, shape, or construction of your relic.

I saw some Celtic items that appear to be made using similar techniques, but I will tell you that I've read enough to know that no serious, main-stream archie/historian will give any credence to someone claiming to have Celtic/Viking/(insert any other early non-American culture) artifacts found in the central US. It seems the field is too small and too close-knit for anyone to risk their reputation.

Good luck

DCMatt

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just an old piece of float copper I don't see any signs of it ever having been worked lol

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry, I just don't get the feeling that the piece was cast that way. I'd expect those ends to be more rounded, especially in such a crude casting, bronze, brass, and copper will break cleanly especially if it was quenched in water after casting, and not properly annealed. It looks as if it was twisted and then broke.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mid section looks like when you squeeze clay between your fingers from a tiny hand. Sounds weird what do you guys think. If that made any sense

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Good luck

DCMatt

Well, I am not an Archie, no reputation in the field to risk (I really wouldn't care anyway as I speak what I think), so therefore, I will state that it looks Viking/Celtic to me! I wonder if CRUSADER has seen anything similar across the pond??!!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure Crusader already answered and said it was a clock key or something along those lines.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread