Copy Dime

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Looking at some rolls and came across this beauty. Then I see the word "COPY". what the??

Good thing they printed that one on there as there was really no way to know it was a copy. See photo for comparison. How was I to ever have known if not for that word? Worse yet, it was that ever so elusive 1999 key date!!

Side note: how does this get counted by the coin machine and not rejected?

MU

Attachments

• image-3181631789.jpg
    image-3181631789.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
They don't get rejected in most coin counters because most coin counters use a spinning wheel with a plate that covers it and sorts the coins by diameter. When you pour in the coins, right before the hole that leads to the spinner there is a magnet to catch any thing magnetic. If its not magnetic and fits through one of the slots in the plate it gets counted. Although sometimes the wrong denomination (I've seen play nickels in with quarters and play pennies in with nickels).

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
FWIW - I never saw a coin with the word "copy" on it. So, I looked it up and found that The Hobby Protection Act requires that all imitation coins and other numismatic items be permanently marked with the word "COPY". Unfortunately, their doesn't appear to be a size requirement (copy to coin size ratio) and found a bunch of examples on the net that required you to really look over the coin to see the word copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions