Corn Bread

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Pre-heat oven 450 degrees. 2 Cups of Martha White Cornmeal, 2 Cups of (Sweet Milk or Buttermilk), 2 Tables Sugar, 2 Tablespoons Self-rising Flour, 7 Tablespoons of oil. Mix well. Take large cast iron skillet and put 1/4 cup of oil in it and heat it on the stove til the oil is splattering, pour cornbread mix in and be careful. put in oven and bake approx. 35 - 40 minutes. when done, I always turn the oven up to broil to brown the top to make the top crunchy. Take out and put Sweet Butter with it and it will melt in your mouth. Great for leftovers to.

OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Yes, I agree. I owned a catering operation in Jacksonville Fl. for 10 years. You would think that all of those high falooting people would not appreciate good cornbread and biscuits, but they always asked for my baked goods. Just tooting my horn. hehe.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm going to have to try that one! Meanwhile, here's the recipe I grew up with. It's even good cold.

3/4 cup (yellow!) corn meal
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 tspn baking powder (or a "short" tablespoon)
2 Tbspn sugar
1/2 tspn salt

mix together dry ingredients, then stir in

3/4 c + 1 Tblspn milk
1 egg (beaten into the milk)

Cast iron skillet or muffin "tin" much preferred, by the way.

When you start mixing all this up, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Put enough bacon grease in the pan or muffin tin cups to cover the bottom, then put the pan in the oven (yes, I mean it. You want the grease to "preheat" too, so the batter will "sizzle" when you pour it into the pan).

When oven is preheated, pour batter into the hot greased pans (or muffin tins). Put in oven and bake until a darkish golden brown (I like 'em crunchy). Butter as desired, enjoy.

My mom would very occasionally crumble some cornbread up in a glass and pour buttermilk over it (blech). Dad too for that matter

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Heres a good one for corn bread....
Mix your favorite batter....pour half into the pan....then grate cheese,diced onions,chopped tomatoes and peppers and make a big fat layer of those ingredients right ontop of the batter. Pour the remainingbatter over that. Bake as usual and when almost done,sprinkle cheese on top and let melt.......Yum

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
corn bread is the best when baked in the cast iron skillet. yummmmy!!! with honey on the warm butterd CB cant be beat!!!

P

PostFatal

My grandpa used to say " anybody that puts sugar in cornbread or grits is from the north or they jes don't know good cornbread, if ya want a cake then bake a cake."

I'm not sayin I agree with him. I suppose in his day cornbread was a staple served at every meal and sugar was reserved for special treats like pies and cakes at special holidays or church socials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread