What's new

Corn patch find

Huzzah!

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2019
Messages
350
Reaction score
608
Golden Thread
0
Location
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there I was kicking my way across the old corn patch that had just been tilled when I laid eye on this. I'm curious as to the material and type--Brewerton?. Found in Central VA along James River.



IMG_2634.webp
 
Upvote 0
It looks like at one time, it was much larger and was worked down to a hafted scraper over several resharpenings. Nice find and material.
 
tdog--is that because the tip is too dull to be a point, yet has clearly been worked to the edge that it currently has?
 
tdog--is that because the tip is too dull to be a point, yet has clearly been worked to the edge that it currently has?

Well, not so much dull but it has a rounded appearance (not pointed). Also the base looks WAY big for that sized point.
 
Nice find , i would agree looks like it’s a Hafted scraper now but was much larger originally possibly a knife when it started out
 
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I still don't have an idea about the material...have never found that lithic around my neck of the woods.
 
A few more comments about your find--it looks like it is/was a corner-notched point based on what's left of the notches where the stem constricts. It also looks like the tips of the "ears" are broken off. Check out the KCN's in this link and imagine what they would look like with the material missing as it is on yours. I'd say that what's left is the silhouette of your piece!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...kAhWHneAKHYkLCw4QsAR6BAgHEAE&biw=1920&bih=937
 
Last edited:
I'll go with a reworked. Cool find!!!!
 
Cool find. I really enjoy finding pieces that have been well used.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
 
Very high quality material. Send me a 5 gal. bucket of that flint! Gary
 
Thanks for the views yall. That chert is some pretty material.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom