What's new

Cortes and Large Cents

cerebus

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
97
Reaction score
484
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
Hey, has anybody else ever noticed that large cents come up as zinc cents on the id? I'm just learning the machine now and was very surprised at that. Also some older small cents show as zinc as well, which are definitly copper. Strange.
 
I don't have an ID machine. I just keep the disc low and dig. I have found that a lot of very good relics will, depending on composition and depth, disc out very low. Some even below foil. I'm sure those would show on an ID machine as an iffy target. If you're hunting old sites without pulltabs and foil, you need to dig everything that beeps. I sure would. :thumbsup:

Good Luck
Randy
 
That screen only will show a icon or number of what the conductivity of the target is, not what it really is. Many items can have the same conductivity but they are different. IE, gold rings and pull tabs. Also if a target is deep it will also read different on the screen. This is why many of us old timey guys don't use detectors with screens or we cover them with duct tape.

Trust your ears and you'll do better. :hello2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom