1. It is not that 'simple.' People try those things. Diet and exercise are helpful for general well-being but they do not treat a chemical imbalance.
2. I don't remember asking a question about if antidepressants were too expensive. I was giving information on the costs.
Pyrate, I'm not trying to attack you or make an example out of you. What qualifies you to make this statement? You are propagating more stigma associated with depression. You are making it harder for your loved ones to get help if they need it. You say there are studies that do both...unless you went to medical school then you are not qualified to interpret them. I don't walk around looking at blueprints of engineers and inserting my two cents. I don't stand behind my mechanic and suggest how he change the oil. If you are not a doctor...
Somebody asked what qualifies me as an 'expert.' 4 years of undergrad (major in psych, masters in psych,) 4 years of medical school, 4 years of residency, 4 years of working with this pt. population. If you want to go ahead and discard my opinion for yours then I certainly hope you have some education behind that.
Don't give me that money crap either. I've won three awards for community service (all volunteer work.) Almost half the patients I see in the hospital do not have insurance; and hence, I don't get paid. But you know what I do pay for? Malpractice insurance. All those patients who I get up at 2am in the morning to go help and never pay me a dime...you guessed it, they can sue me for any old reason they want.
Somebody hit a nerve? Yeah...you could say that.
Crispin