Could this be a Real Higley Copper ?? Found in old

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old coin the other day in an old coin collection full of colonial coins everything in the box was real.But this one I just don't know if it's real or not it weighs 9.7 g from the research I've done Higley coppers are so rare I'm wondering if it's a fake ?
IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0112.JPG

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to say one way or the other, but--the real thing varys in weight from 122 to 170 grains the heaviest being the 1739. Also 99% copper, a magnet will not stick---good luck tom

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only way to tell for sure is to take it to a coin dealer for a look.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom, the Coin is 149 Grains I seen one sell at Heritage auction it was also 149 grains , Yes I've seen they can vary in grains, my only problem is when you flip the coin you don't hear sound like you here with the silver coin or copper coin if you tap it with a pencil or something you don't hear a ding or a ting. A magnet doesn't stick to it , and there's not Becker on the rim . I have seen many coins in my time but never had a coin stump me like this everything points to real.
But it's so rare I feel it's a fake.

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would send a picture to John Kraljivech. If you would like his email I can pm it to you. He is probably the most knowledgeable colonial coin expert on earth. Bill D and I have both reached out to him before. I'm guessing he'd be very interested in seeing that coin.

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw I hope that's the real deal! What an incredible find that is. I know it can be difficult to allow ourselves to believe we have discovered something so rare....but these things are out there and you may well have one. What's your gut telling you? Not your brain

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Please show us the edge of the coin, so as to see if any casting line is visible.

I hope that it is the real deal.

Welcome to TNet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it's real

I don't see cast marks anywhere no raised line around the rim. This is a Connecticut Colonial Coin I'm located in Connecticut about 20 min from where these were made in Granby and the collection they came in and the story is amazing. But still I feel like I'm missing something here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been buying selling and collecting coins for many many years but ashamed to say till last week I never heard of higley copper. I can spot a fake quick. But this coin is so different not sure how it was made and why it's not making a sound when I flip it or top it but I'm not tapping it to hard as I don't want to damage it.

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been buying selling and collecting coins for many many years but ashamed to say till last week I never heard of higley copper. I can spot a fake quick. But this coin is so different not sure how it was made and why it's not making a sound when I flip it or top it but I'm not tapping it to hard as I don't want to damage it.

Mrweb would you be ok with me sending some of the pics to John? He's seen thousands of the rarest coins on earth. I'm not saying that he can tell from a picture but you never know.

Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it is a startling " New discovery " ... leaning on real because of the near proximity to Granby , CT

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find,, the quest for authentication makes the find even more exciting. I hope it is the real deal.
Good luck and congratulations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
I second the notion of sending images of the coin to John Kraljevich. If he says it's authentic, then it's authentic. The other option is to submit it to PCGS or NGC and spend about $40 + postal insurance to find out whether it's real... but this involves sending it through the mail and spending some money. The postal insurance could be quite expensive, because it's a high-value item if it's real.

Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think postal insurance would only cover $25,000 maximum. Good luck !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find,, the quest for authentication makes the find even more exciting. I hope it istays the real deal.
Good luck and congratulations.

Thanks , the past week has been very exciting and interesting. When I started Googling " Cut my way through " and Value Me as you Please " and I read the history of higley Copper it was a Rush as this if my back yard few towns away I was interested in knowing more and stumbled across this website happy I found this site if anything I can pick up a little education.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread