Could this be a Real Higley Copper ?? Found in old

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old coin the other day in an old coin collection full of colonial coins everything in the box was real.But this one I just don't know if it's real or not it weighs 9.7 g from the research I've done Higley coppers are so rare I'm wondering if it's a fake ?
IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0112.JPG

Last edited:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been buying selling and collecting coins for many many years but ashamed to say till last week I never heard of higley copper. I can spot a fake quick. But this coin is so different not sure how it was made and why it's not making a sound when I flip it or top it but I'm not tapping it to hard as I don't want to damage it.
Never heard of it either but I can tell from the pictures its a dud. Sorry just my opinion/experience talking.

Upvote 0

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look on the edge of the coin. Odds are you'll find the name Becker, the one who made it. :)

Upvote 0

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would send a picture to John Kraljivech. If you would like his email I can pm it to you. He is probably the most knowledgeable colonial coin expert on earth. Bill D and I have both reached out to him before. I'm guessing he'd be very interested in seeing that coin.

John does know colonials, but "most knowledgeable colonial coin expert on earth"? I'm offended.

Upvote 0

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shame it's a copy, but at least it's a known copy, being a Becker. Keep in mind, this is without seeing the edge of the coin, but quite certain. Bolen made great copies around 1860. Don't recall if he made a broad axe type, but I know he made the 3 hammers.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shame it's a copy, but at least it's a known copy, being a Becker. Keep in mind, this is without seeing the edge of the coin, but quite certain. Bolen made great copies around 1860. Don't recall if he made a broad axe type, but I know he made the 3 hammers.
Makes sense, I could tell it was a copy, didn't know it was an antique version, so makes it a little more interesting.

Upvote 0

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In post#5, he states that there is no Becker on the rim.

Perhaps he didn't look close enough, someone filled in the name or someone made a copy of a Becker copy (not likely). Nothing about the coin looks genuine and everything looks like a Becker copy. I've seen plenty of them. Anyone looking to wager I'd be glad to give 10 to 1 odds. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on the edge of the coin. Odds are you'll find the name Becker, the one who made it. :)

No it don't say Becker on the edge. And I've looked at Becker copies and none of them resemble this one . If this was a copy or a counterfeit you would think there would be some other copy out there with similar resemblances but nothing that I can find . I've seen fake and counterfeit coins before and I need been the best ones with enough time you can tell it's a fake but this one is so much different . Everything points towards yes it's really the only though I have is that they are supposedly only eight of these in the world what are the chances this is real ? The chances this is real is probably a better chance of getting hit with the media right two times in the same spot in your head lol

Upvote 0

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard of a Higley before and I gogled it today. Wow that would be rare if it is the real deal. I hope you find out soon that it is real!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No don't say Becker on the edge and no mold or raised line around edge as in most copies . I know that most copies and and counterfeits tell a lot on this edge . This has none of those signs whatsoever but when I get home tonight I will take a picture of the edge and submit it .

Upvote 0

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John does know colonials, but "most knowledgeable colonial coin expert on earth"? I'm offended.

Haha I was being a little over dramatic lol. My deepest apologies

Upvote 0

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No don't say Becker on the edge and no mold or raised line around edge as in most copies . I know that most copies and and counterfeits tell a lot on this edge . This has none of those signs whatsoever but when I get home tonight I will take a picture of the edge and submit it .

Instead of taking pictures all the way around it and having all this speculation back and forth. Why don't you take it to a coin shop and see what they say? All this speculation is absolutely useless and pointless. If you have a fake you can let us know and if you have the real deal you can let us know. More pictures are absolutely meaningless, fueling unnecessary drama.

If you thought you had a real coin, it seems to me you would want to send it in and get it graded and slabbed. Not keep handling it and posting pictures. For that reason and that reason alone, I think you have a copy and you know it. My free 2¢

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks , I can tell you I don't know everything about coins but if I looked at 1000 coins I can tell about 99% of the time I'm right with witch ones are real and witch are not . If this is not real this is the best fake I've seen in my lifetime.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who thinks this is a fake explain to me how you come to that conclusion I would love to know .

Upvote 0

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Tom, the Coin is 149 Grains I seen one sell at Heritage auction it was also 149 grains , Yes I've seen they can vary in grains, my only problem is when you flip the coin you don't hear sound like you here with the silver coin or copper coin if you tap it with a pencil or something you don't hear a ding or a ting. A magnet doesn't stick to it , and there's not Becker on the rim . I have seen many coins in my time but never had a coin stump me like this everything points to real.
But it's so rare I feel it's a fake.

Anyone who thinks this is a fake explain to me how you come to that conclusion I would love to know .

You yourself think it is a fake. So why don't you send it to get graded and slabbed and see what professionals say? Why keep the speculation going? Just curious.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number one just because someone has a coin shop don't mean that They know! and I've known people who own Coin shops who were not that educated. Number two if this is a $200,000 - $300,000 coin I'm not just going to send it in the mail. I have never took a picture of her shoulders going to anyone since I've had this is the first time if I don't get anywhere here I may drive out to NGC OR PCGS .

Thanks for your worthless opinion anyways I think I smell a little jealousy. This website is meant for this purpose discussion to discuss just what were discussing plain and simple you don't like it don't comment on it .

Upvote 0

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Number one just because someone has a coin shop don't mean that They know! and I've known people who own Coin shops who were not that educated. Number two if this is a $200,000 - $300,000 coin I'm not just going to send it in the mail. I have never took a picture of her shoulders going to anyone since I've had this is the first time if I don't get anywhere here I may drive out to NGC OR PCGS .

Thanks for your worthless opinion anyways I think I smell a little jealousy. This website is meant for this purpose discussion to discuss just what were discussing plain and simple you don't like it don't comment on it .

Jealousy? Hardly. Good discussion is always a plus. Back and forth speculation is not productive. Even if it is real, no jealousy here. I find enough to keep me happy. You know for certain you are not going to get a definitive answer on here. I will stay out of this drama. Good luck out there.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread