COULD THIS BE FROM A SHIPWRECK?

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
I recently acquired what I was told as a "Celtic" brooch. After thoroughly scrutinizing this piece,I am convinced that it is much older. It looks like something that could have come from an ancient shipwreck. I am going to enclose a couple of photos for you, and see if you might give me your "feeling" on this piece. I have figured out that someone wired on a brace and soldered a pin and a clasp on this brace, so as to not damage the gold, (which acid tests to be high carat 20-22K). Also originally it appeared to have enamel work, that has all but disappeared over time. It measures 3x2 inches and weighs 47 grams.
If you can think of someone who can advise me on this piece, I would love to make contact with them, as I am anxious to learn more about this intriguing piece.
Here are some pictures;

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Gemee:
Older than "Celtic" ?? :P
Remember that, back a few years ago,? the "Celts" were around fighting the Roman Legions, !
They can easily be place in history, back about 2500 to 3000 years!? ;)
But!
You do have a nice piece of History there!
Just? DO NOT MAKE ? >:(? the MISTAKE of taking it to an "EXPERT"? :'( !

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
"Just do not make the mistake of taking it to an expert". cptbil, but then how will I ever learn the true age of this piece? I actually did ship it off to an expert historian and respected appraiser, here in the US, a couple of days ago. I sent it registered and insured. cptbil, I have asked 30 people about thei old piece, and have gotten 30 differnt opinions about it. I REALLY need to know the true "story" about it.

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
cptbil, one other thing; When I said "Celtic", I meant from the 1800's. Remember, I am in the US, and over here, we misuse historical terms like this one, all the time.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Well!
I guess it's too late...? :o
But!
Just don't mention that you found it anywhere? in? the U.S. or within the? "Three Mile" limit !
Or! You may never see it again !
If asked, a good close up photo or two will be sufficient !
? >:( If you want to see what happens to "Good Intentions" !? :'(
Read "The Saga of The Old Woman Meteorite"
Found in the Old Woman Mnts., So.CA. !
And this? SAD TALE!?? involved the Smithsonian Museum", State of CA.? & The U.S. Govt., The BLM? >:( AND! a Respected Historian? :-\ !!
AND!
Two very sad? :( :(? and Unhappy Finders!

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Actually this was found up in someone's attic, and not the ocean. cptbil, for future reference, how would you of gotten this thing appraised? I know the business address in NY where this appraiser has a business. Trust me, hell hath no fury, if I am crossed.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Great!
I love to hear that someone has a firm, straight? "Spinal Column"? ;)
And!
I am sure anyone agrees with you!
How would I have handled the" appraisal"?? :-
I have been in T'hunting/PProspectingfor a few more than L-O-N-G! years.
In that time I have naturally come across people with different talents/occupations etc., with whom/who I have dealt with!
AND!
I consider them to be? ?[shadow=red,left]? PROVEN? /shadow]? ::) ... Good Guys! ? ;D
Both "on this side of the pond & the other side" !
I also have a very diverse family...
Heck!
One of my Grandfathers made his Fortune selling guns to "Poncho V.."? ?:-[ OOPS!? :-[
I mean! ... ;)? he was a businessman in early Southern Arizona !? ;)

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
cptbil, do you live here in the US also? If the appraiser does not play fair with me, and give me my "treasure" back, howzabout I pick you up and the two of us go back to the Big Apple and ruff him up a bit? LOL I may be a female, but I know how to play dirty and make someones life miserable, if they do me bad. lol
"In that time I have naturally come across people with different talents/ooccupations etc., with whom/who I have dealt with!" You are lucky. All of my aquaintences are pretty much warm bodies, and nothing more. Not good for a whole lot. I had to "take a chance" and send this to someone that works on The Antiques Roadshow, because he came highly recommended to me. If he crosses me, you can bet that I will be showing up at every Roadshow appraisel, from here to eternity. I have got nothing better to do!!! hee hee

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
cpbi, where can I find the story on this; "If you want to see what happens to "Good Intentions" !
Read "The Saga of The Old Woman Meteorite"
Found in the Old Woman Mnts., So.CA. !"

Do you happen to have a link to the story??

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Gemee:
No one has ever set up the story for the internet.
The only public source for the story appeared in a "Rockhound" Magazine.
Name of...
? 8) The "Rock and Gem", Feb. 1982, pg, 20 .
Quote:? ?>:( "Its Discovers Had A Rich Find (1 1/2 million dollars) Until The (U.S.) Govt. Took Over"? :'(?

A

ashton9

I guess that it is a part of a larger jewelry piece like a necklace or maybe from an old lamp. Looks like 1920's. :-\

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
ashton9, I believe that this is a "little" older than the art deco era of the 20's, but thank you for your opinion.

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
MrSovereign, that is my honest guess also. I just keep getting the "vibe" that it is Spanish and from the 16th or 17th century. I will know maybe next week. It was shipped to an expert appraiser, last week. I guess the BIGGEST mystery, will be, HOW it ended up in an attic of a house on the East Coast of the US??

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
G'day, IF your piece is Spanish and found in new england it probably was traded by a pirate for booze, food or love. When there weren't enough coins to pay the shares they sometimes gave jewelry to the pirate crews. IF a piece was too valuable for a single share it would be broken. Exanimo, SS

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
YIKES!!!!! I forgot all about posting the latest news that I received on Tuesday morning. The appraiser ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadshow/series/appraisers/s-z/weber.html ) phoned me shortly before lunch time, to let me know that the package had arrived safely to him, and that he "knew immediately that (he) was looking at the real deal". He said that he had so far spent a couple of hours on it, and it had yet to be seen by the gemologist, but he felt that with what he had so far seen, that it was circa 1650 (give or take 25 years). Spanish OR Portuguese. The gold was a strong 22K . He felt that the stones would test to be "in the beryl family, with probably the center stone be a dark foiled aquamarine. The stones were to be tested sometime this week. He was concerned about getting an accurate test of the stones, without removing them, because not enough stone was showing over the gold crimped edges, to get a good side view and accurately test them. He said that he always figures in a window period of 25 years,....up or down, because styles did not vary that much within that period. He said that if after analizing the backside, that he could find traces of ANY enamel, then he would have to revise the date of this to the 1500's. WOW. As far as "value", well that is sort of a relative thing. I have always believed that something is "worth", what you are able to sell it for. He has indicated what he would "appraise it for replacement value". Of course, that is about double of what I could actually sell it for....if and when I do sell. For the time being, I just want to HOLD this piece and fantasize about what this piece has "seen".

Siegfried Schlagrule, I believe that this piece was found in a Virginia attic. I am not positive about that. The older woman that I bought this from, has simply said that it "belonged to a long deceased relative, and was stored in the attic." After I bought it, (for less than $100.00) she made the statement "There is probably some gold content in that piece, but I don't have the time to be running everything that I sell, to the jeweler." WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! She had told me that it was probably turn of the century (1890-1910). I will get the piece back next week, along with the evaluation.
I am one happy gal!!

OP
OP
gemee

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
BTW, the appraiser ALSO stated that there was absolutely no evidence on this pendant, that it had EVER been submerged in sea water, so Siegfried Schlagrule, you are probably right on the money in your guess about "trading"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions