Could this possibly be a dual meteor crater?

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some glacial research and came across this location. It looks like a nice size meteorite split into two and landed just over a mile apart (1.25 miles). I find it hard to believe that this is erosion from drainage or glacial advance. This area is just on the edge of where the wisconson glacier stopped. So, most hard evidence would be buried under tens of feet of sediment at the LEAST.

The larger crater is about a mile and a half in diameter, and the smaller crater is about 1 mile in diameter.

Here is the location on g earth 40.8343974,-80.4154834

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...x0!7e2!8m2!3d40.8341973!4d-80.4110494!5m1!1e4

There are 2 central uplifts in each of the craters; however, the larger crater's 'center' uplift insn't on center. Could this be because there was a second collision with the earth so the uplift was somewhat averaged between the 2 shocks? Or perhaps the angle the meteorite came down was pretty great so the uplift wld b further back from center? It seems as if one side is built up larger and the other smaller/eroded away to support the angle hypothesis.

IDK maybe I'm crazy, tell me what you guys think! If you can't find it just type in new galilee, pa into google earth and turn on the terrain feature!

meteorite crater.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I turning into caleb? I am looking for diamonds though lol

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Rific. I can see where one might draw that conclusion. I was thinking that impact would have to have been post glaciation. With slump and erosion in unconsolidated glacial till over the last 12,000 years, your "craters" should not have anything but fairly flat ground in a very well defined impact area. The rebounded center would not be visible on the surface any longer. So my opinion is not a crater. Have you looked on google earth at the impact craters, called Carolina Bays. They run down the coastal plain from Maryland to Georgia. Look on google earth just north of Myrtle Beach, SC. A bunch are easily seen.

One theory, that I subscribe to, is a comet or asteroid struck the ice sheet when it covered the Michigan peninsula, ejected an enormous amount of ice back into space, which reentered on a ballistic trajectory, impacting much of the US with huge ice chunks. Most evidence has been eroded away, but the bays are still visible along the east coast. They were first identified with the advent of flight, their distinctive shapes identifiable only from altitude.

Attached to this theory, is the disappearance of the mega fauna, and the Clovis people, around the same time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rific. I can see where one might draw that conclusion. I was thinking that impact would have to have been post glaciation. With slump and erosion in unconsolidated glacial till over the last 12,000 years, your "craters" should not have anything but fairly flat ground in a very well defined impact area. The rebounded center would not be visible on the surface any longer. So my opinion is not a crater. Have you looked on google earth at the impact craters, called Carolina Bays. They run down the coastal plain from Maryland to Georgia. Look on google earth just north of Myrtle Beach, SC. A bunch are easily seen.

One theory, that I subscribe to, is a comet or asteroid struck the ice sheet when it covered the Michigan peninsula, ejected an enormous amount of ice back into space, which reentered on a ballistic trajectory, impacting much of the US with huge ice chunks. Most evidence has been eroded away, but the bays are still visible along the east coast. They were first identified with the advent of flight, their distinctive shapes identifiable only from altitude.

Attached to this theory, is the disappearance of the mega fauna, and the Clovis people, around the same time.

Hey thanks for the feedback! I like your theory and I'll keep that in mind in my glacial hunting. I still have to stick with mine being prior to glaciation or else I can't describe how the rim got eroded away so heavily. If impact happened before glaciation, and the glacier ran over the spot, coupled with the huge ammounts of meltwater, the crater could look just as it does. If you follow the terrain you can see a wide river of water surely flowed through there eroding just the walls that are missing the path is perfect to interupt the circle..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see there is nothing like this anywhere in the area...there aren't any drainage dips on the one side of the big crater rim because the earth was pushed up water ran away from it.
crater 2.jpg crater 3.jpg

and btw im not in denial im just fighting the argument :( ...idk i guess even a glacier wld leave more evidence...maybe I'll just venture over there and see if I can't see anything for myself anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't hurt to look. I would also think post glacial. The glaciers moved mountains! If it was a comet, you won't find anything. If stony meteor, you'll have to be very lucky to find something, the stream bed would be the best place to start. If a nickel iron meteorite, bring your detector and go for it. Due to the topography I kinda doubt it is a crater.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my research with the three general mechanics, I have found that 2 central uplifts in craters, however large the crater's uplift cup, still cannot contain the entire mass on center. Could collision's of these twin masses cause some men to lose touch with earth's gravity, and experience an uplift? Probably. Great thread! :skullflag:

Attachments

• mymechanics.jpg
    mymechanics.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems very unlikely. Probably old lakes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I say dual crater? Well I found a couple more...the more I look into this thing the more I find merit in it. In a lot of the craters I've found, I've also found man made or natural objects that skirt the circle as if something was truly under the ground at one point. You have to look real good but you can still see the holes in the ground and the earth trying to stitch it back up

craters.jpg crater5.jpg crater5.jpg crater4.jpg craterrimroad.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and here is my water erosion drawing :)...
cratererosion.jpg

does anyone else see some kind of what i'm saying here? Anyone brighter than I want to take a look at erosion patters around the circular structures as in if there was a rim around a crater and water side stepped around the crater rim then it eroded out a farther circular route because it couldn't get passed the crater rim? This area would have likely had a river in it at the time of impact. (if we're shooting for 12,900 years ago)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and here is my water erosion drawing :)...
View attachment 1588055

does anyone else see some kind of what i'm saying here? Anyone brighter than I want to take a look at erosion patters around the circular structures as in if there was a rim around a crater and water side stepped around the crater rim then it eroded out a farther circular route because it couldn't get passed the crater rim? This area would have likely had a river in it at the time of impact. (if we're shooting for 12,900 years ago)

I have to say Rific, in this image I'm seeing tons of semi circles. How many are craters? Could I suggest using this computer generated and graphically enhanced imagery, and pick another part of the world and look. Probably craters everywhere.

Or, this was a serious meteorite storm.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Circular depressions seem to be caused by a number of natural methods outside of meteor strikes. I'm no expert but I've read of formations caused by animal, plant, fungi as well as ice, sink holes and simple erosion of minerals in various localities. Human activity as well. In my reading positive identification of craters outside of recovery of meteoric material is the identification of minerals formed by impacts. There was a good article last year on an impact site found in Scotland. Not an area I'm familiar with but possibly a lead for your research Rific.
Your first post and area of interest seems like its worth a look.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It made wooly mammoths and my fav sab tooth cats extinct! But seriously if u look left right up down for miles arnd that area you dont find circular anything

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Circular depressions seem to be caused by a number of natural methods outside of meteor strikes. I'm no expert but I've read of formations caused by animal, plant, fungi as well as ice, sink holes and simple erosion of minerals in various localities. Human activity as well. In my reading positive identification of craters outside of recovery of meteoric material is the identification of minerals formed by impacts. There was a good article last year on an impact site found in Scotland. Not an area I'm familiar with but possibly a lead for your research Rific.
Your first post and area of interest seems like its worth a look.

Thanks a bunch DDancer! That sounds like a great idea i'll read up on it and get some samples! Also thank you for the words of encouragement...maybe I'll get lucky and find a diamond if nothing else

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH YES! and I almost forgot! If you notice, the size of my craters get larger and larger if coming from a south-north trajectory...its no fluke...the heavier pieces of meteorite kept more momentum and flew further. I agree I have overplayed it a little bit but I will try to get down to the truth, or close enough to call someone and have them do it :D

The theory of a meteorite (not necessarily mine) killing the saber tooth and mammoth is captured in a documentary called LAST EXTINCTION by NOVA if anyone is interested. I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's hosted free on the tube.

Towards the end they model a meteor striking the surface of a glacier

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you tell the difference between a crater and a caldera?
Isn't a mounding necessary for a crater?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do you tell the difference between a crater and a caldera?
Isn't a mounding necessary for a crater?

You would probably need "boots on the ground". A meteor impacts ejects material from the crater, a caldera collapses into itself.
Mounding can be weathered away on a crater, see for example lake Mien and Siljan in Sweden. Both (kinda) well known craters, both lakes.

Besides that, the impact from a meteor alters the rock, which also can leave signs to differentiate it from a caldera.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You would probably need "boots on the ground". A meteor impacts ejects material from the crater, a caldera collapses into itself.
Mounding can be weathered away on a crater, see for example lake Mien and Siljan in Sweden. Both (kinda) well known craters, both lakes.

Besides that, the impact from a meteor alters the rock, which also can leave signs to differentiate it from a caldera.

Yes, I was more thinking about ID from an areal view like Google Earth. Like you said a visit might be necessary.
Valle Grande is near my home and there was discussion back a ways if it was a caldera or a meteorite/asteroid impact.
Eventually it was determined to be a caldera. It's huge and even after all this time the trees have not returned.
It now has monument status so can be visited. I hear the fishing is great and a fisherperson is allotted a stretch of river for themselves for the day.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions