Could this possibly be a Roseville experimental vase?

Joeyd

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an early vase and has all the characteristics of Roseville pottery and maybe a experimental piece but just not positive on this so would appreciate anyone's thoughts. It measures approx. 8" tall by 6" at its widest and has hand written number 18 on bottom and side in red and what appears to be a black number 17 and something else on bottom under glaze. Thanks

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 135
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 129
  • v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 128
  • v4.jpg
    v4.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 129
  • v5.jpg
    v5.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 121
  • v6.jpg
    v6.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 125
  • v7.jpg
    v7.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 152
The handles look like Roseville, the design was made from a custom mold and the glaze definitely doesn't look like an amateur did it. If an amateur did this they most certainly would have signed it as it is a very well executed pot. I'd contact David Rago and ask him.

Hello and thanks everyone for all the input. Fever87, it looks like you are quite correct in your observations of this pot. Since posting, I sent these photos to an appraiser that handles a lot of pottery and she said everything along the same lines as you and is interested in it enough to contact a few acquaintances of hers in Zanesville. Will post again when I know more.

I'm no American Art pottery expert but I am sort of a collector and have sold many pieces in the past.I don't know who made it but I have never seen a piece of Roseville with finger marks from the potter's wheel (those concentric lines running around the top portion of the vase. From the bottom it looks like it has the possibility of being an unmarked piece of Roseville with the grease pencil marks, but look any further and that thought goes out the window. The bottom "17" actually says "LK" the 7 being the L. Also, the mark that can barely be seen in black is an old price of 1.25 with a line under the number 25. I hope you get it id'd.

Hello again....I have been notified that this is an extremely rare piece of experimental Roseville and that there are only two examples known to exist. The appraiser I contacted has a lot if outside interest in this piece already and sent me the link below being the last piece sold at auction. The estimated price was $2,000 - $2,500 but currently I don't know what the ending bid was as it was probably higher. If the link below isn't clickable, just copy and paste to your search if you would like to see the info on this. Again, thanks all for your input.

Humler & Nolan | March 2015

Finally, a piece of Roseville that is still worth something. Most of it is worth pennies on the dollar compared to 20 years ago.

bdsawyer....thanks for the link, that makes my day!

This is a great find. This actually happened to my friend. She bought a box lot and in it was a piece of experimental roseville worth big bucks.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back