What's new

Could use help ID'ing a large copper with only a few visable letters.

Bryan6059

Jr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
64
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
Location
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out to a place ive never been, with a buddy I met while out detecting earlier this summer. With a hunt or two under his belt, he invited me to take a crack at combing the area with him. He claimed that so far he was up a good chunk of change, and had found a couple rings. As we were setting up our gear, and finishing our coffees, he spoke up that he had been finding lots of square nails, but hadn't come across any old coins or buttons to go along with the nails. Today we changed all that with me finding a large copper about 45 min into the hunt, but due to its wear and irregular deteriorated shape I am unable to figure out what it is, hopefully some of you can figure out which coin it is based on the limited lettering in the pictures. The finds kept rolling in from there. shortly after I come across a very lg copper/bronze with lots of scattered lettering on both sides of coin. With some water to finish cleaning the coin, was able to find out it was a 1835-44 William H. Milton & CO Boston Mass. Hard Times Token. After a dry spell and a pockets worth of trash later a nice 1917 silver Newfoundland quarter showed up in my hole! Went to show the silver and token to my buddy, and he had a few to show me. He has what im sure was a Spanish half or 1 reale that was holed, and after a light brushing with the glove, im sure I saw the harp like a Hibernia copper/bronze coin. As I was well on my way back towards the car, hit a patch that turned up An 1861 Nova Scotia large cent, several small and large flat buttons, A heavily mangled coin or button with no signs of any detail (numbers/words/button shank), a cool looking lock/drawer key perhaps? I sure hope winter is kind, and holds off for another few weeks, the both of us cant wait to get back out again next weekend and see what else we can turn up!
IMG_1115.webp
IMG_1118.webp
IMG_1120.webp
IMG_1121.webp
IMG_1122.webp
IMG_1123.webp
IMG_1124.webp
IMG_1126.webp
 
Upvote 22
Nice bunch of finds!
Coppers and silver and mystery
I wouldn't be afraid to keep hitting that site
 
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
Neat finds! I'm always interested to see evidence of US Hard Times Tokens circulating in Canada.

That mystery coin has some lettering to match a Nova Scotia halfpenny token - but in the condition it is in it almost looks like it could be from ancient Rome!
 

Attachments

  • nova5.webp
    nova5.webp
    169.3 KB · Views: 91
I believe your key is for a barrel tap.
Looks like a target rich site.
With a wide date range.
As Bramble find pointed out you can see "PROVINCE" and 1832 is the most common of the NS coppers.
 
Thanks for the help with the id's guys. The weathers looking sunny, and near to the freezing mark for the weekend! I hope to have another post worthy update of finds before work on Monday
 
Congratulations on the coins and relics! :occasion14:

If you have the time and weather permits that site holds some real promise, go finish the job! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom