Could use some opinions

SouthTexasFinds

Oct 30, 2013
South Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was having a discussion today with a couple buddies over what these two items may be ( along with a bunch of other) and could use your input! Both are South Texas surface finds.

The first piece has been worked to an edge on both sides, and shows some seemingly heavy impact fractures. I left the dirt on it so you may be able to see it better.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Second, and still a little damp, seems almost like a large spokeshave or tool for shaving wood/bone.

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks in advance for any comments or ideas.

Upvote 0
Cores and test rocks or hammer stone it looks like to me. On the test rocks they would of been checking to see if they were good enough to use for other tools. If it showed inclusions or cracks they would either work around it or just toss it. Looks like you are in the rite area. Good luck in your hunts, rock

Last edited:
Thanks for the input outlaw and rock. I found a bunch of keepers with these as well i will post below.

I can possibly see that in the second piece, but could this one just be a test/core with that many fractures on it?

image.jpg

Heres some stuff I found with these two ( already posted 2 of them in the scrapper thread)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

Well the 1st one could also be a hammer stone. I did forget to say that. Lets see some up close shots of those pointy ones

The arrowheads look quite nice. You had a good hunt.

The rock in question has had a lot of impact on that end. JMO It was breaking apart when they were trying to use it has a hammer stone. The other artifacts are all great finds:notworthy:

Yep they tested every core they came across it seems. Sometimes the material was just not to they're liking. It took them seconds to knock off a few edges and check something out. Ingenues.
Sometimes they were what is called an expedient expendable tool. Quickly made quickly discarded Did its job and then chunked. Especially when material is plentiful.
Have enjoyed seeing the Texas finds. I used to hang out on S. Padre island, Mustang and up on the Brazos a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back