What's new

Couldnt resist! Bought a Sov

s1u2r3f4

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2011
Messages
421
Reaction score
186
Golden Thread
0
Location
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couldn't resist! Bought a Sov

After weighing the pros and cons, I ordered a Sov from Bart's. Any helpful hints will be so appreciated!:hello2:
 
Upvote 0
I am trying to get a Sovereign right now also. Good luck with yours! HH
 
Recently bought a used one here locally and am still learning all the tricks and tips for it but after using it for a few weeks now, it is a great DEEP finding machine. There are posts here, and on some other forms, going over the finer points on this machine. Just do a google search and you will find alot of posts and youtube videos. So far I really like mine!
 
Thank you... I know I have 2 good machines already ... But, what the heck,life is short!!!
 
odd thing is, they dont work well in florida:laughing7: heres a tip, waterproof it.


chuck.
 
Serious???
 
Why would you say they don't work well in Fla? I was using mine on the Gulf coast (Treasure Island) last week and having no issues with it at all. Have to get the settings right but I was digging targets! Agree that if you plan on wading out into any water that waterproofing is a must but works great on the beach and in the damp at the water's edge.
 
Get your self a few good reference book(s) by different authors.

My favorite is "The Ultimate Sovereign Beach Hunters Guide" by Gary T. Drayton as it is based on Gary's personal experiences and he is a great story teller.


Clive James Clynick (CJC) has written several books on using the Minelab Excalibur and Sovereign which are good references.
as they are a complation of his experiences and other detectorists, I had difficulty initially understanding them as I was trying to learn the detector and how to treasure hunt at the same time.

I constantly re read above books periodicaly, as their concepts, theories, and tips become clearer with experience and I always learn something which I either missed or did not understand for lack of experience.
 
How?

By that I mean what is the best way of water proofing a Sovereign.
 
After you get comfortable with it buy a really large coil like the Coiltek 15". You can really cover a lot of beach with it. Also make sure you have a big sturdy scoop because you will be digging some very deep holes.
 
guys........i was joking !!!!!!!!!!

chuck.
 
After you get comfortable with it buy a really large coil like the Coiltek 15". You can really cover a lot of beach with it. Also make sure you have a big sturdy scoop because you will be digging some very deep holes.


I'm ready for that! Got the Stealth 720. How similar are the controls and settings to the Excal? Thanks
 
S1 get a little time under your belt ..... id like to know how you think it compares to that Exp II you have. Its always seemed to be THE beach machine.... just now seeing more using the Etrac and Exp on the beach or at least posing. I have the SE with the SEF and it works great.... except for the tones at say a .8 gram gold ring, mighty close to salt falsing tone.

Dew
 
S1 get a little time under your belt ..... id like to know how you think it compares to that Exp II you have. Its always seemed to be THE beach machine.... just now seeing more using the Etrac and Exp on the beach or at least posing. I have the SE with the SEF and it works great.... except for the tones at say a .8 gram gold ring, mighty close to salt falsing tone.

Dew

That was my major concern. The Exp ll is great, specially on silver but it seemed like the general consensus was not so well on gold. Gosh knows I didn't NEED another and the cost was great but if I'm spending so much time swinging one when there is maybe something better..... We'll see!
 
Yeah, here on Lee County Beaches they are terrible! :laughing7:

i have heard they cant handle the flux capacitive sand up there!
chuck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom