What's new

Counter stamped Barber Dime

Nepa-Will

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2014
Messages
593
Reaction score
898
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out before the heavy rains this morning. Found a 3 ring bullet, 1957 Wheat, and a 1905 Barber Dime. Wasn't til I got home that I noticed a stamped number 2 on its neck. Thanks to Cjon for telling me it was a Counter stamp. Anyone know why they did this?
KIMG0339.webp
KIMG0336.webp
KIMG0333.webp
KIMG0332.webp
 
Upvote 20
Hey Will. Nice counter stamped dime. I have yet to find one.

Congrats
 
WHIPORWHIL I MEAN NEPA WILL NEAT GROUP FOR A POST RAINY DAY DIG........
 
Neat Finds.
Still waiting for some 'Ground Softening' rain here.+ Some T-Storms that I love.
 
Nice find.
I'm glad you were able to beat the rain. I'm in MD and it's pouring here too; a real soaker today.

Guess I should have gotten up earlier.
 
It's not a counterstamp in the true sense of the word (see definition below). It may have been used as a tool tag or in a game or lottery or something where a series of dimes were struck with a punch. Or someone may have just defaced it for fun. It has character though...neat find!

Countermark or Counterstamp Partial or complete over-stamping of a coin or token in order to change its value or issuing authority, or to display an advertisement, political slogan or symbol, etc. Stamping may consist of a number (value), symbol (authority), letters (advertisement or slogan), or any combination of the above.
 
Nice save!!

That barber is cool and that 2 stamped on it is different, love to know the story behind that.
 
never seen that before :dontknow:
 
Thanks everyone! Whatever is is stamped on there for. If not a counterstamp. Then at least I learned something new.
 
I was told that banks would also counterstamp coins to authenticate them back when counterfeiting was prevalent. I didn't think counter stamping was still a practice in the 1900's. That is a neat find Will. Great job finding the 3 ringer. I have tried and tried to find my second one, but they are very rare here in our area.
 
I was told that banks would also counterstamp coins to authenticate them back when counterfeiting was prevalent. I didn't think counter stamping was still a practice in the 1900's. That is a neat find Will. Great job finding the 3 ringer. I have tried and tried to find my second one, but they are very rare here in our area.
Thanks OD. Was happy to finally get out today. Work has been keeping me from detecting. Haven't really had the chance for Tnet lately either. Been one of the busiest roofing seasons ever. Guess that's a good thing. I have found several 3 ringers, but I hunt the woods frequently.
 
Very productive hunt, very interesting dime stamp.
 
Thanks OD. Was happy to finally get out today. Work has been keeping me from detecting. Haven't really had the chance for Tnet lately either. Been one of the busiest roofing seasons ever. Guess that's a good thing. I have found several 3 ringers, but I hunt the woods frequently.

When I found mine, TheCannonballGuy gave me a lot of info on them for our area. He said since there were no skirmishes here, any we find would either have been fired in a training camp before the soldier went south in the war, or by a hunter that had received them after the war when some of the guns and ammo were sold as surplus.
 
Good job on that unique barber dime, better than any plain one anyday!, plus you got one of my bucket list items, that elusive 3 ringer!
hey don't mind the busy roofing, ya gotta make hay while the grass is growing, construction is often feast or famine!

Congrats on the goods!
 
Nice Barber with a counter stamp. That gives it a little character.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom