Counterfeit capped bust half?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this "coin" a while back using the AT Pro, but forgot about it until the other day. Looks like a capped bust half. When I dug it, I thought it was a modern day reproduction coin, a toy, so I did not think much about it. Now I am thinking maybe it is a contemporary counterfeit, which I think is kind of interesting. I am not sure of the metal, but it is crumbly, so perhaps pewter? The front is in rough shape and I can't see the date. I put a red outline around the bust so you can see her profile better. The reverse is in pretty nice shape though. What do you think, a contemporary counterfeit or just a vintage toy coin? Anyway, I hope you find this interesting. Thanks for checking out the post, and I appreciate any comments. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• 20210127_210046.jpg
    20210127_210046.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210127_210109.jpg
    20210127_210109.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 19
counterfeit or went through Hell & Back :tongue3:
I'm not sure if acids of fire would do that to Silver or not.
looks like Clay :tongue3:

Cool Find !

counterfeit or went through Hell & Back :tongue3:
I'm not sure if acids of fire would do that to Silver or not.
looks like Clay :tongue3:

Cool Find !

Very funny. Thanks for the comments. The coin is definitely not silver or clay. Coin is actually gray though the photo looks a bit tan like clay. I don't think I broke this in half with my shovel. Maybe the individual way back when was pissed when he discovered it was counterfeit and snapped it in half:laughing7:. I do think it's interesting.

There have been similar counterfeit Bust silvers posted over the years. I think that is exactly what you have. Very cool find.

There have been similar counterfeit Bust silvers posted over the years. I think that is exactly what you have. Very cool find.

Thanks! It is a cool find, though I would rather have a real one, perhaps like your avatar (I assume that's a half - a real beauty).

I am leaning toward contemporary counterfeit. If so, it's probably made of pewter. Pewter will crumble like that. It's a great find.

Apparently there are enough of these contemporary Capped Bust counterfeits that have surfaced , for there to be a real collector base for them . I remember reading a number of posts on this topic some years back. Nice find !

I am leaning toward contemporary counterfeit. If so, it's probably made of pewter. Pewter will crumble like that. It's a great find.

Thanks! It rang up like a nickel if I recall correctly, which is sometimes a similar signal as pewter, I believe.

Apparently there are enough of these contemporary Capped Bust counterfeits that have surfaced , for there to be a real collector base for them . I remember reading a number of posts on this topic some years back. Nice find !

Thanks. You are right about that. I saw there is a collectors club on line. There are apparently many, many varieties of these counterfeit coins. Wish mine was not split in half, though I still like it, at least until i can find a real one.

Very funny. Thanks for the comments. The coin is definitely not silver or clay. Coin is actually gray though the photo looks a bit tan like clay. I don't think I broke this in half with my shovel. Maybe the individual way back when was pissed when he discovered it was counterfeit and snapped it in half:laughing7:. I do think it's interesting.

Yea maybe was snapped to see what color inside

An interesting find for sure, I'd be willing to bet that it's fairly collectible as well. :thumbsup:
When I first saw it, I was thinking the metal was either pewter or lead, possibly made with a higher lead content due to the lack of flaking.

Dave

just came to me :tongue3: were both pieces in that exact position when dug ?

if they were then most likely broken sometime after being dropped.

Last edited:
just came to me :tongue3: were both pieces in that exact position when dug ?

if they were then most likely broken sometime after being dropped.

Good question. I am not sure of the positioning, as things shifted as I dug the item, which was in somewhat loosely packed forest soil. The pieces were in the same hole though.

An interesting find for sure, I'd be willing to bet that it's fairly collectible as well. :thumbsup:
When I first saw it, I was thinking the metal was either pewter or lead, possibly made with a higher lead content due to the lack of flaking.

Dave

Thanks! Some lead is a possibility. Maybe that is why it has some tan color, sort of like an old round ball you might dig up.

Good question. I am not sure of the positioning, as things shifted as I dug the item, which was in somewhat loosely packed forest soil. The pieces were in the same hole though.

I'd guess Broken after being Discarded or lost then.
Odds of both pieces landing together if Chucked or even Dropped would be rare.

If it were dipped in Silver it would have been more Sturdy when Lost too

I'd guess Broken after being Discarded or lost then.
Odds of both pieces landing together if Chucked or even Dropped would be rare.

If it were dipped in Silver it would have been more Sturdy when Lost too

Makes sense ... thanks!

I love it! That is so cool I love everything about that one.I’ve only found one counterfeit and it was a 1853 Seated Dime. My counter it was made out of Antimony. Congratulations on such a unique piece
View recent photos 2.png
View recent photos.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back