What's new

Counterfeit/fake/reproduction cobs

Trez

Hero Member
Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
768
Reaction score
269
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few examples of "cobs" that are counterfeit...
Not copies or reproductions...but counterfeits.


These were purchased by a very respectable treasure hunter many many years ago...
Even the ones who you would think would know better...get taken.

Post yours if you have one...it may help someone down the road...

scanfakes.JPG


scan002.JPG


They were determined to be fakes by numismatic experts in this field when these coins were bought by the salvor.
 
Re: Counterfeit cobs

Man, how could you tell they were counterfeit? I would believe someone telling me they were real. Great copies at any rate.
 
Re: Counterfeit/fake/reproduction cobs from China

3 different sellers...
Check these seller's out......http://search.ebay.com.sg/_W0QQsassZzisebingjing888QQhtZ-1, here is another seller (see anything familar? http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Rare-Mexico-...926QQihZ002QQcategoryZ541QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
He is selling 2 cobs, with different dates...but quess what, the same planchets are being used.
Look under his other coins for sale, you can see tha same planchets. The other seller is doing the same...
China is flooding the market with these pieces, watch out beginners.
3rd seller selling same cob......
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Rare-Spain-1...3QQihZ018QQcategoryZ39481QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem


Trez
 
Trez,

There is no dout these two coins are from the same mold! Buyers beware! Have you reported it to ebay?

Robert
 
O.K. Trez,
I have a question.
DOES ANYONE NOT TEST SILVER AND GOLD GOINS TO SEE WHAT PERCENT OF PRECIOUS METALS ARE IN THEM. You can do this using a scratch stone and a few chemicals and NOT harm the coin but if the coin does not contain any precious metal this test will leave a black spot.
Trez, You sure have a lot of FAKE coins ;D
Peg Leg
 
Good eye Trez , thanks for the info, it looks like these sellers have snookered a few buyers already

Eddy
 
Did anyone see the Discovery Channel yesterday. It was about Mel Fisher and some the the items recovered from the 1715 wrecks.
There were a lot of gold items being shown including A SINGLE GOLD COIN. This single gold coin was only on the air for a couple of seconds. BUT guess what- it was the TWIN to the Gold coins that I have. YES- IS WAS PLAIN WITH NO WRTING AROUND THE EDGES. It showed only one side-the side with the Cross.
Of course nothing was said about this coin because there was so much to be shown but I find it strange that this was the only gold coin to be shown.
QUESTION:
If my coin is a FAKE, COUNTERFIET or a COPY the what is the coin that was shown ?
I did not sell sell a single coins to the Fisher prople ;D ;D.
THINGS ARE LOOKING UP .
Peg Leg
 
ATTENTION EVERYONE:
I was sent a copy of a gold coin from Spain and guess what.
It is a Gold II escudo.
Mint make is a "G"
Assayer is "oD"
The scan shows some writing around the edges-I am asking for what the writing saies because the scan is so large I cannot read it.
This was minted during King Philip II reign.
During his reign the was NO DATES stamped on the coins.
I was told to look at the following:
Calico, Barcelona book, "Monedas Espanolas Desde Juan y Carlos A Isabel II, 1504 a 1868
1985 edition Pg 57.
ALSO these coins were HAMMERED BUT a very unusal way. It appears that they used a DROP HAMMER that weighed about 100 kilos. It seems that the piece of iron was raised about 4 feet and dropped. This was done by hand by pulling the HAMMER up using a rope and letting it drop.
Of course this could be considered by some as NOT being Hand Hammered but neither could it be considered to be Machine stamped.
My OPINION that this process lead to the use of a machine that was purchased from Germany.
People can debate this till HELL freezes over so I have requested a signed statement from the Director about this process.
AND in return they can keep the Gold II escudo.
NOW lets hear what YOU think.
PEG LEG
 
Hi Peg,
Glad to hear you fannally got some info on your coins.
Did they ever end up telling you if the coin was minted in Spain or the America's?
 
Peg,

There was never a question about the mint, or what denomination, or if your coin was hammered or pressed was there? Peg, am I missing something here...origionally you asked about the assayer (who he was), mint, etc...this was determined and provided to you months ago...correct me if I am wrong please. The only info that could not be provided was the name of the assayer, and second if your coins were actually authentic...correct?
Did they authenticate your coin? that is the question that many would like to hear...did they authenticate your coin(s), these would be the people who would know right?
I am glad your getting more info about them...
Thanks.

Trez
 
romeo-1
PICTURES of what. There are enough already on this forum to sink a ship.
Peg Leg
 
I'm new here and may be missing something in the wording(s) used in the various threads of this post.
But, hasn't counterfeiting of coins been around for hundreds of years; and aren't some 'period counterfeits' as collectible and as valuable as their authentic counterparts?
At least that's what I've always been led to believe (and I've never purchased a coin in my life).. :)
 
BeachHugger said:
I'm new here and may be missing something in the wording(s) used in the various threads of this post.
But, hasn't counterfeiting of coins been around for hundreds of years; and aren't some 'period counterfeits' as collectible and as valuable as their authentic counterparts?
At least that's what I've always been led to believe (and I've never purchased a coin in my life).. :)

Yes and no.............
period counterfeits have value, some even greater or as valuable as you stated......
but modern day counterfeiting of period pieces is what was meant........I THINK, and for me thunking is a option in which I fail to utilize to it's fullest. This thread took a left turn...Peg's coins are thought "by some" to be modern examples. Peg is trying to find his answer as to such.....hopefully he will share.
If they are indeed, they would fit into this topic/thread perfectly.

Trez
 
Good thread Trez and it's really sad that so many people are throwing their money away on cheap repros.

I've purchased a few cobs off ebay and so far all have checked out okay.

I really look closely at the seller before I buy any cob (even just a Maravedis). As a rule I only buy from people who have been into coins for a several years and who have excellent feedback (as in ebay). Then I try to use common sense in regard to weight, size, and general appearance. If someone is selling a $5500 cob for $125 I get suspicious. hahaha!

I'm sure you guys all know this but a while back there were lots of phony Mel Fisher signed certificate cobs for sale on ebay. I just caught the tail end of it and someone else tipped me off. I just left it alone and let them handle it.

The case I saw was the cob was real (wrong type) but the certificate was forged. Don't recall now any more about it.

Thanks again to all for your great work and I look forward to learning from you all.

Cob
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom