What's new

county courthouse

cnr_dogs

Greenie
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Anyone ever detected one? ours was built in 1917 thought it might have potential what do you think?
 
Is your jail close by? Because that's probably where you'll end up if you try to detect a courthouse lawn. :laughing7:
I guess it never hurts to ask, but I would be extremely surprised if you get permission there.
 
Kentucky cache, why would the county lawn, surrounding a courthouse, be any different than any other county maintained parks in that county? Isn't it simply just a county park (albeit around the county's central courthouse)? I've detected county courthouse lawns, and they're a park, just like any other park. Ie.: benches, fountains, trees, lawns, etc..... Why would these parks be any different than any other park?
 
Tom_in_CA said:
Kentucky cache, why would the county lawn, surrounding a courthouse, be any different than any other county maintained parks in that county? Isn't it simply just a county park (albeit around the county's central courthouse)? I've detected county courthouse lawns, and they're a park, just like any other park. Ie.: benches, fountains, trees, lawns, etc..... Why would these parks be any different than any other park?

I don't know, you'll have to go to all the courthouses in the country and start detecting. Tell us how you made out. Some may allow it, but I'm guessing they would be few and far between. But hey, if you can get by with it I'm happy for you.
 
Well asked in the general discussion forum about your thoughts on detecting our county courthouse built in 1917. Minus a few trees replaced and some sidewalks put it the grss area around is about as it was 90 years ago so Richard "fastfwd" and I went over there to check it out. We put in a short effort the weather was cold windy and drizzling. I managed a little clad a '46 wheat and a small ring thought it might be silver gave a low 80's VDI but sticks to a magnet so junk...but a ring . Rich grabbed some coin it will be a spot for the D2 coils but the wheat shows potential. And the police station is right next door saw quite a few officers and nary a second glance from any of them.
 
Kentucky Kache said:
Is your jail close by? Because that's probably where you'll end up if you try to detect a courthouse lawn. :laughing7:
I guess it never hurts to ask, but I would be extremely surprised if you get permission there.

That's what I thought as well till this spring my wife goes and calls our newly elected Sherriff and asks the $64000 question and much to my suprise the answer was sure go ahead. Haven't found much yet but I've hunted less then 2 hours because of all the rain here locally this spring. The court house goes back to 1853 so I'm sure there are some goodies there to be found. Rick :coffee2:
 
If you get permission I don't see it being an issue. I would start with the clerks office and go from there. Good luck,

HH Charlie
 
There is a courthouse in town where I live. Still used today and they don't mind people detecting there. Of course it's in downtown with tons of businesses around and dozens of people walk through the grass of it all day long. So it's more like public park property.

Others will be different, this is just my experience but go in and ask the guard at the door about it. Do not bring your detector inside with you.
 
Rick, Charlie, and Relic: The only thing I would be afraid of, is if cnr_dogs gets a "no", where ...... no one in reality would ever have cared or noticed. Ie.: the "easy answer". Since a courthouse lawn is basically just a park, like any other park, then I would be leary of getting a "no", where no one really cared, till you asked.

This happens often-times at parks, where no one ever had a problem before (assuming you weren't being a nuisance, sticking out, and were using "due discretion" to go at low traffic off-times). Then someone takes it upon themselves to go ask, and gets a "no"? :dontknow: Seems you would just be precluding yourself from a good area, and getting a rule essentially "written" (silly things morphed to apply to your "pressing" question) where none existed before.
 
You guys must live in more relaxed areas that mine concerning metal detecting. Like I said, if you can get by with it, I'm happy for you, but I don't think you'd get by with it here.
 
I've never had a problem in East Tennessee either, of course I go when they're closed and then on the weekend.



Sky Pilot
 
Tom_in_CA said:
Rick, Charlie, and Relic: The only thing I would be afraid of, is if cnr_dogs gets a "no", where ...... no one in reality would ever have cared or noticed. Ie.: the "easy answer". Since a courthouse lawn is basically just a park, like any other park, then I would be leary of getting a "no", where no one really cared, till you asked.

This happens often-times at parks, where no one ever had a problem before (assuming you weren't being a nuisance, sticking out, and were using "due discretion" to go at low traffic off-times). Then someone takes it upon themselves to go ask, and gets a "no"? :dontknow: Seems you would just be precluding yourself from a good area, and getting a rule essentially "written" (silly things morphed to apply to your "pressing" question) where none existed before.

I agree Tom but for some reason people seem to like interfering whenever they can with other people. I had the police and city workers ask me several times if I had permission to dig in the parks and it was a lot easier to say yes and give them the name of the guy that gave me permission. He was the park and rec maintenance director and a former city cop. So when I mentioned that he personally told me it was OK they were more then satisfied. He retired a few years ago though and now parks are off limits because of one Id10t who dug basketball sized holes and left patches of dead grass all over the parks. The new director just said no more. Hopefully I can talk him into letting me back in but it's doubtful, I don't drink and play cards with him. Unfortunately in most places it's not what the law is or what you know but WHO you know.

They re-sodded the court house lawn here the year before I got my detector and there was a guy up there every evening hunting and he found several old coins so I think it would be worth the risk to ask for permission. If you do a little research and find out exactly who you should ask for permission you would probably stand a better chance of getting a yes instead of asking 4 or 5 people before you get to them because if any one of them say no you might just be out of luck. I guess it all depends on the situation, you just gotta figure out the best course of action and hope for the best.

HH Charlie
 
I don't take my detecter, but I love going to the courthouse after a big rain & just eyeballin. I have found marbles, old glass, & all sorts of goodies. nothin worth $ but it's fun all the same. I am always afraid they will kick me off for just lookin. I would never take the md without permission.
 
Charlie, yes it would be "preferable" to have permission for all public places we detect. No question about that. Especially if the permission is to litterally "dig holes" (and not just the euphamism "metal detecting"). I don't deny that that would allow you or I to waltz through there at the peak traffic times, dig nilly willy, etc....

But the problem is, this permission is not usually forthcoming. In most places, seems you get a "no", where perhaps no one really even cared before. Ie.: md'rs went un-bothered (barring unless you were some sort of nuisance), so it was defacto "ok". Then someone goes and asks, and gets a "no". THAT'S what I'd be afraid of. Because then what happens, is you certainly can't go now, because you've already been told "no".

You say:

"..... for some reason people seem to like interfering whenever they can with other people."

Again yes, I agree. There's always busy-bodies who make assumptions that you will leave marks, or are harming earthworms, or whatever. To this I would say 2 things: 1) even if you get "permission", and then someone (as you describe) wants to gripe, I've heard many stories of how the md'r proudly pulls out their "permission" paper to show the griper (cop, gardener, or whomever). The griper gets on the phone, calls down to city hall, and get that promptly revoked, by simply accusing you of making holes, "digging" or whatever. 2) Better just to avoid these gripers. Go at off times, low traffic, non park-worker days, etc......

Nothing is going to solve it 100% (even going in the dead of dark at night). But all I'm saying is, that by asking, where there's no specific prohibition, simply sets you up for a "no", where no prohibitions ever existed before (till you asked).
 
I agree, Tom! :thumbsup:

Small towns like we have in East Tennessee are notorious for having "busy bodies" that seem to go about just looking for ways to screw up someone else's good time.
It's almost a given that if you ask about a public place that's not posted against detecting, you'll encounter one of these folks. If for no other reason, just because saying "No" is easier.
Saying "Yes" requires conscious thought effort on their part, while a "No" will get you out the door and out of their hair post haste.
Not really much different than how we treat our children when you think about it. How many times have you said "No" to a child's request just because you didn't want to take time to consider it?
I believe we all have at one time or another. People are like electricity in that both tend to take the path of least resistance.
I'll tell you straight up folks, if it ain't posted and it's "public property" I'm not going to be concerned about my county servant's opinion on detecting rights.
Suppose the person you ask just thinks it's a silly pastime and you are simply a fruitcake? What do you think the answer will be?
Even if the person you ask actually tries to get permission for you to detect, it would take a meeting of the county trustees and then have to be voted on. How do you think that'll work out?
They will hate you for making more work for them and then tell you "No", most likely.
Then too, there are some folks who get their rocks off saying "No" just because you've empowered them to do so!
Too many government officials think they own their counties already, no sense leading them to believe that you think so as well.
Just my opinion.

Sky Pilot
 
thanx for your support sky-pilot. And you say the "no" can be:

" ......... just because you've empowered them to do so!"

There's a lot of true psychology wrapped up in that statement! It works like this:

a) the mere fact you're standing there in front of them, asking them "can I do such & such", merely implies that they have the say-so (lest why would you have asked them, if you didn't feel like they had that right?) You might *think* they would have to back it up with something in an actual rule, right? But even in the absence of a specific rule, they can still say "no", simply because the premise of your question, is that they have the power to say "yes" or "no". Because if it were dependent on a specific rule, then ... heck .... you could have looked it up for yourself, without their input altogether! (city and county codes are usually available on-line). This implied psychology is not lost on the person you're asking. And if you object, and say "but where is that written?", guess who's going to win that debate? ::) All they have to do is cite "no collecting" verbage, or "cultural heritage" verbage, or "disturbing the vegetation" bologna, etc....

b) Also there is a powerful implied psychology in the "asking" process that also sets you up for a probable "no". And it's this: The mere fact that you are there asking someone if you can do a specific thing, merely implies that something is inherently wrong, damaging, or evil about it, that you had to ask, to begin with. Afterall, if there wasn't something askew, then why would you be asking permission? Ie.: would you ask to fly a frisbee? Ask to skip stones on the pond? No. Of course not. So then when you come in asking to do something odd (that they probably never gave though to beforehand) like this, guess what the implication is? Their mind will subconsciously pick up on this, that there must be something off or damaging, lest you would never have been there, asking, to begin with. Thus another reason for the "no's" often-time.
 
Unless it's a historical or protected property, there is a 99% chance they are going to arrest you or fine you. You should receive a warning to leave, and that's it. Tell them no signs were posted, and you didn't know. Say you're sorry and won't return. Case closed.

However if you get kicked out, then you can ask permission, because then if you get a yes you can go back again, but if you go back anyways, you can be arrested for destruction of property.
 
relic-hunters, and I would add that the "nature" of the warning/booting will dictate to me whether I permanently stay away.

Example: one time I got booted by a lady cop at a park in another part of our state. It was a park I had hunted many many times over the years, whenever I would need to travel through that part of the state. Used to turn up barbers, IH's, silver, etc... Well one day, this lady cop booted my friend and I. You know .... the usual hype "you can't be doing that" blah blah blah" ::) We were on our way out by that time anyhow, so I didn't hassle with her.

But then an interesting thing happened: soon thereafter, through a detecting forum, I made friends with a hunter in that very city. I related to him what had happened, and he was equally as confused. Because he had hunted there, unbothered, lots. No one had ever said anything to him. And his wife was well-connected with city hall (had an uncle or something who was a cop), so she had him look into it. There was nothing specific in the law, so it was obviously just a bored lady cop, who morphed something else to apply. Perhaps she was having a bad day. Perhaps someone else called us in and she was obliged to respond, etc... Anyhow, my new friend in that city said this was probably an isolated thing, and it wasn't going to stop him.

A year or so later, when passing through that city, I didn't hesitate to stop and hit that park again. That was over 10 yrs. ago, and I've hit it every time I'm passing through there, in full view of anyone and everyone. No one's ever said anything again.

So sometimes you have to just ask yourself if you just need to be a little more discreet at a certain place, and/or avoid just one busy-body in the future, etc....
 
WOW! Very well put, Tom! :thumbsup: And you're welcome!

It is amazing how people pick up on those subtle nuances without even being aware of the fact that they are doing so!

Must be some primal instinct, I reckon.

And it's just like RelicHunters said, "You should receive a warning to leave, and that's it.", very true!



Sky Pilot
 
Oops! I must've posted my prior response too late!

Great example Tom, just goes to show the nature of some folks with too much time on their hands!



Sky Pilot
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom