Couple of good finds for a newbie

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just picked up metal detecting as another hobby a couple of months ago, aside from having a cheap unit as a kid. Found a bit of trash, square nails, and some modern coins today while working a field with a friend, but I did luck out and find an 1853 calendar coin and what I think is an old sash tongue. Beginners luck is what I keep telling myself... Both items cleaned up nice. Can anyone give me any information on the sash tongue? I looked on google and couldn't find much other than militia stuff which it didn't quite match any I saw on there, though is very similar to some, other than the company name on it. Thank you in advance! IMG_6152.JPGIMG_6149.JPGIMG_6166.JPGIMG_6167.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 20
t_o.gif
1st - Nice finds Bbarton.

tn_link.gif
2nd - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found Eagle Buckle Piece? (Jan 22, 2015, 11:38 PM)...

That is a stamped brass 1850's tongue buckle.

We find them in our Gold Rush Camps and they are Pre War and in my opinion are not military and were made for the civilian market. Many clothiers in CA sold pants with a woven type belt that had these patriotic themed buckles on them. These types of buckles were not made for the rigors of war and were more decorative than anything. Many of the early stamped brass tongues had the Clothiers name on it. Some of the earliest Branding in the clothing industry.

Yours is a roped Border Eagle Buckle: probably the most common.

Max Bell has a really cool book about these types of buckles. He and several other CA locals and collectors combined a lot of knowledge on these buckles and created a very informative book.

Now you will get others that claim they are early militia buckles etc but not sure that can be confirmed. And STAMPED Brass for military use??

Very cool find and we love finding those buckles!!

Added a pic for reference

image.jpg
tn_moved_over.gif
3rd - Moved from Metal Detecting over to Our Discoveries > Today's Finds! for more exposure

That's a heck of a start!! Now go back and find the other half of that buckle. Good luck and welcome to the forum. [emoji482]

HH, RN

Relic nut, Found the "other" half of that buckle last week in Oregon, my First one ever after 30 years. Bbarton, Newbie or "Seasoned" guy, either way, Great Finds, I mean really great finds.

Nice calendar coin, rare to get them that nice, & rare to find.

I see 'NEW YORK' at the base of the tongue, looks pre-CW to me.

Nice finds, congratulations!

Congrats on a good day out swinging! :occasion14:
Love the calendar coin! Never seen one of those before. I want to find one now.

tt5493.jpg
Here's a California gold rush miner wearing a very similar, if not same buckle. Not worn on a sash, but a woven belt.

Congratulations on your finds. Love the calendar coin. That is a cool find.

Thank you all for the information! Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and great people on this site. It really helps when trying to identify something. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's finds in the future, as for me I'm completely hooked now!

Found some information on treasurenet on how to clean the old brass like that so I gave it a shot, ended with a really good result! The stages of cleaning are included as well. IMG_6195.JPG IMG_6196.JPG

That's a really good find, congrats! Looks like you have an excellent spot to dig, hopefully there are more period finds to make.

Some friendly advice- make sure you are careful with relics, overcleaning and removing patina can devalue a great piece.

Found some information on treasurenet on how to clean the old brass like that so I gave it a shot, ended with a really good result! The stages of cleaning are included as well. View attachment 1451704 View attachment 1451705

This is only personal, but I would have kept it at stage 1 (Top right). Specially until you had a full ID, it could have been your most valuable find. Although it doesn't now sound like it mattered too much.

great job i have a huge chinese opium pipi from the early 1900s i need to clean its brass took two weeks to figure out what ir was lol i hope it turns out as nice as yours did. Tommy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

This is only personal, but I would have kept it at stage 1 (Top right). Specially until you had a full ID, it could have been your most valuable find. Although it doesn't now sound like it mattered too much.

Yeah I'm just going to put it in a display case and personally I wanted to see it back in its original (mostly, other than wear) glory. I'm not worried about selling, guess I'm just a sucker for shiny things [emoji13]. I did like how it was when it was black as well, though.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back