Couple of hunts-iron, horseshoe, tools, what’s its...

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a couple of hunts in.
First hunt in the woods found:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Among the square nails in a small depressed ground area also had some melted lead and a file all in the same 3 foot area. The small bullet looks modern..kind of brass colored. The bearing is not too old. I am unsure about the iron piece that is rounded at the top and has screws or rivets on it.

Today’s hunt:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

The big horseshoe is in great shape..not sure of the age. The gun shell is 7mm wide with a “u”..a Remington bullet? unsure if age. The two sided wrench was interesting. I can’t find one on the internet. I am guessing the small buckle might be from a bridle or horse tack.

Can’t get enough of this hobby!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 6

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds the bullet casing with the U stands for the union metallic cartridge co.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety, congrats on a good hunt!

Pic 1 at 11 o'clock looks like an exhaust clamp but the rivets don't make sense. Item a 2 o'clock is an acetylene torch tip. 5 o'clock is barbed wire. 1 O'clock looks like a fragment of exhaust pipe that may been extracted from the inside of a muffler flange. Cartridge case is 22 magnum but I don't think it matches the bullet. 6 o'clock on pic 4 is an acetylene torch wrench. Center on pic 5 is the cup from an old time vulcanizing tire patch. The cup contained an incendiary compound the patch was loosely affixed to the convex side of the cup. You clamped the inner tube with the patch over the hole into a simple press and then lit the compound with a match. very stinky but worked most of the time.

It looks like you might have found the remains of an early blacksmith/auto shop that shoed horses, did some gas welding and made simple auto repairs. I quote a passage from the Model T owners manual. " In seeking repairs for your Ford automobile, make sure that the mechanic has at least seen one before!"

Best wishes and good luck-----Phil

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice variety, congrats on a good hunt!

Pic 1 at 11 o'clock looks like an exhaust clamp but the rivets don't make sense. Item a 2 o'clock is an acetylene torch tip. 5 o'clock is barbed wire. 1 O'clock looks like a fragment of exhaust pipe that may been extracted from the inside of a muffler flange. Cartridge case is 22 magnum but I don't think it matches the bullet. 6 o'clock on pic 4 is an acetylene torch wrench. Center on pic 5 is the cup from an old time vulcanizing tire patch. The cup contained an incendiary compound the patch was loosely affixed to the convex side of the cup. You clamped the inner tube with the patch over the hole into a simple press and then lit the compound with a match. very stinky but worked most of the time.

It looks like you might have found the remains of an early blacksmith/auto shop that shoed horses, did some gas welding and made simple auto repairs. I quote a passage from the Model T owners manual. " In seeking repairs for your Ford automobile, make sure that the mechanic has at least seen one before!"

Best wishes and good luck-----Phil

Phil, you know a lot about a lot! Thanks for all of the detailed information! You are right about the bullet tip and casing not matching...They were not anywhere near each other. The tire patch info was spot on...I had no idea, but there was the remnants of something that I pulled away from that concave side when cleaning it out. Love the quote you found from Ford.

I continue to pound this area as I am bringing the finds for display/donation to the local Heritage Society. The items mean so much more when they can be identified and possibly dated. The exhaust clamp and the torch wrench were found in the woods way behind the area, so I am not positive they are related to the road area or even old.

Thank you again for all the information!
Kim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread