What's new

Couple rocks that have me curious....just rocks I suppose???

archer66

Sr. Member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
454
Reaction score
151
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northeast Missouri
Found these two in creeks at the family place in Pike County, Missouri. Don't find much of this type of material so when I do I look at it pretty hard. Anyway...neither of these is what I'd call any kind of finished form but are they more than just eroded or broke to the shapes they're in?

The larger one has a depression worn in it...much smoother than the rest of the stone with apparent "rub" lines in it where it was abraded by something.

The smaller one FEELS like a little tool and has the appearance of having been shaped but is of the same rough texture all over except where the large end was broken and where the small end appears to be worn. It is NOT polished like the bit on a celt or axe. Makes me wonder if it was used knap flint or grind something?

I'm perfectly fine with being told these are just plain ole rocks.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    421.5 KB · Views: 148
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    253.8 KB · Views: 140
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    218.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    393.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Second rock:
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    441 KB · Views: 145
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    503 KB · Views: 133
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    177.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    184.7 KB · Views: 133
Appear to be just rocks, formed over time by glacial activity and water erosion.
 
they appear to be natural to me as well.
 
Thanks guys.....that was my impression as well, especially of the larger one. The small one fits the hand perfectly to be used to press, jab, grind at something but figured it was just me MAKING it fit and seem useful more than it having ever been utilized. Figured I could post em here to make sure I was thinking right....there's a lot out there I haven't seen so worth asking.


Thanks again for looking.
 
remember....purpose purpose purpose....what would if have been used for and if so...where is the wear pattern....
 
Thanks guys.....that was my impression as well, especially of the larger one. The small one fits the hand perfectly to be used to press, jab, grind at something but figured it was just me MAKING it fit and seem useful more than it having ever been utilized. Figured I could post em here to make sure I was thinking right....there's a lot out there I haven't seen so worth asking.


Thanks again for looking.


Our hands are really amazing creations, they well fit very nicely around many, many, different forms.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom