Cracking Roman Silver From The Road(Update)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Managed a couple of hours at the road tonight before the heavy rain hit :'( unfortunately they were working late :'( so I had to make do with a small set aside strip which was full of weeds :-[

Didn't think I would have much luck, but to my suprise the first signal turned out to be a hammered coin and a short x at that :o not quite sure yet wether it's a Henry111early short x or a King John, will have to update later :help:

Second and last coin of the night turned out to be my third Roman Silver from the road :headbang: a very nice Septimus Severus :o can't really believe that I only had two coins and both ancient Silver :o SS :thumbsup:

Update on the Roman Silver...Septimus Severus Denarius, EMERSA MINT,194-195AD. IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT,AVG COSS11, Laurete Head Right/ Boni Eventus, Bonus Eventus Standing Left Holding Basket of Fruits in Right Hand, Grain Ears in Left. BMCRE 343, RSC 68. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• sss 001.JPG
    sss 001.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 3,334
  • sss 002.JPG
    sss 002.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 3,315
  • sss 003.JPG
    sss 003.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 3,291
  • sss 004.JPG
    sss 004.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 3,307
  • sss 005.JPG
    sss 005.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 3,286
  • sss 006.JPG
    sss 006.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 3,271
  • sss 020.JPG
    sss 020.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,261
  • sss 023.JPG
    sss 023.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 3,237
  • sss 019.JPG
    sss 019.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 3,221
  • sss 016.JPG
    sss 016.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,183
Upvote 2
pgill said:
Hi SS well done on such fantastic finds.... Congrats on the Banner, you deserve it :icon_thumright:

Would you have any idea on the values of the following coins? These were bought here in South Africa at a coin shop many years ago.

1) Claudius I 41 - 54 AD, Quadrams.
2) 3 of Ailes, Constantine I, 307 - 337 AD.

Claudius Coin

Constantine Coin

Sorry to use your topic as a pricing venture, but I just cannot seem to get any values from anywhere.

God bless
Peter
Hi Peter...

thanks for the comments, as for your coins, the first coin would not be worth very much :'( about $5, the second coin is in nice collectable condition, one like yours sold for $24 in 2004 on Wildwinds it could make a little more than that, it's the larger Bronze Roman coins that fetch the best prices, the coin I posted that made Banner is infact only worth about £50, there are a lot about :-\ hope this helps a bit :thumbsup: SS.

Thanks SS for the help, yes it does help me a lot :icon_thumleft: I have always thought of roman coins not being worth that much as so many were made, and they are found by the jug full, but they are great coins to have in any collection.
Thanks again, and sorry for hijacking your topic with my problems......

God bless
Peter

pgill said:
Thanks SS for the help, yes it does help me a lot :icon_thumleft: I have always thought of roman coins not being worth that much as so many were made, and they are found by the jug full, but they are great coins to have in any collection.
Thanks again, and sorry for hijacking your topic with my problems......

God bless
Peter
:hello:

glad I could help Peter :thumbsup: never be afraid to ask :wink: that's what we are all here for :thumbsup:

Colin. :thumbsup:

Nice finds!

The silver is definatly a Short Cross Hammered Silver Penny of King Henry III (1200's) - There is a good reference here - http://www.coincraft.com/catalog/displayitem.asp?mID=4&cID=193&ID=CHC2902

Strangely enough, I messaged a guy on ebay who I bought a metal detector off what his best find was a couple of days back, and he said it was this coin....

What part of the country did you find this by the way?

Arundel Lad said:
Nice finds!

The silver is definatly a Short Cross Hammered Silver Penny of King Henry III (1200's) - There is a good reference here - http://www.coincraft.com/catalog/displayitem.asp?mID=4&cID=193&ID=CHC2902

Strangely enough, I messaged a guy on ebay who I bought a metal detector off what his best find was a couple of days back, and he said it was this coin....

Welcome fellow UKer, hope to see some of your postings in the future. SS will not mine me telling you that he is from 'up North' :wink:

Thanks for the warm welcome Crusader, :icon_thumright: I'm sure I will be around quite a bit over the coming months. Have just bought a new detector and getting back in to the hobby again after about 15 years, so will hopefully be posting some interesting finds... :icon_sunny:

Arundel Lad said:
Thanks for the warm welcome Crusader, :icon_thumright: I'm sure I will be around quite a bit over the coming months. Have just bought a new detector and getting back in to the hobby again after about 15 years, so will hopefully be posting some interesting finds... :icon_sunny:

can't of picked a better time. Harvest is nearly here, I'm waiting on the Wheat crop, but the Barley & Rape are already in. Get in those ploughed fields (with permission of course)

PS, just going out now, will post later

Arundel Lad said:
Nice finds!

Hi :hello:

sorry I missed your post :'(

I should have updated the id on the short x when I updated the post :dontknow: yes I new it was a Henry 111, it's a class 7b s1356b.

thanks for the responce :thumbsup: and welcome to T Net :headbang: oh yes from up North, on the Yorkshire coast :thumbsup:

SS.

love seeing those roman coins being pulled out of the ground :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Man shure wish the Romans were in california lol :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back