Crazy stone

74cadi

Oct 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I was looking for arrowheads on black loon Indian reservation in Mercer co.ohio I found this stone any info would be appreciated I found it a little over a mile from a river. I’m adding a rough scetch apaers to be a river scene and teepees carved into the rock, just want to know what it is. Also when it’s in the right light more triangle shapes are visible

Attachments

• 477C079A-9421-4B0F-BEDB-AEB467BB62BD.jpeg
    477C079A-9421-4B0F-BEDB-AEB467BB62BD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 70AD8763-7710-4D5E-84D4-4D84EFEA6196.jpeg
    70AD8763-7710-4D5E-84D4-4D84EFEA6196.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • B12EB37C-7F11-41FA-B7AA-BC98FC29485C.jpeg
    B12EB37C-7F11-41FA-B7AA-BC98FC29485C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
  • E5540F3D-619B-41FA-9F51-3A6D17BDC05A.jpeg
    E5540F3D-619B-41FA-9F51-3A6D17BDC05A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
No one is going to see it in your pics. Does that mean it’s not there? Certainly looks like someone doodled that rock to me.

Sorry, not seeing anything in pictures that says worked by man. If we cant see anything in pictures, all we have to go on is the pictures

I’m not seeing it either. Keep looking though, there’s lots of artifacts waiting to be found and I wish you the best of luck.

Since no one else has asked, I will. How are you hunting on a Reservation? Just curious.

As as for the stone, hard to see anything in your pictures but odds are its natural.

Since no one else has asked, I will. How are you hunting on a Reservation? Just curious.

As as for the stone, hard to see anything in your pictures but odds are its natural.

Elephant in the room...

Seems marked up though. Maybe used as an edge abrader?

Last edited:
Maybe not all, but many of the lines were probably the result of being hit by a harrow many times over many years before you came along and found it. I can understand you picking it up though.

A lot of patina disturbance on the side shown on the second picture, and the curved ones ones in the third picture are probably the result of the rock being rolled along in the dirt as the harrow passed over it. Sharpening or abrading anything in this manner would require a lot of needless effort to produce curved grooves like that, and for what good reason?

Yeah it’s hard to see in the pic I took took just right light for images to be seen, as fas as the reservation native Americans have not lived there for hundreds of years it’s all corn and bean grills now

Maybe not all, but many of the lines were probably the result of being hit by a harrow many times over many years before you came along and found it. I can understand you picking it up though.

Now that's a good theory. If it sat for many years at a depth just under the plow depth it might have got scored and rolled around there many times. The difference in the soil moisture, temp and general conditions makes it unlikely to plow the same depth year after year but it is possible.

I saw surface rocks scored by the plows growing up back when farmers used to do such things.

A good theory , yes. Not sure anyone can really buy it though because of the severe curvature of many of the lines.

A good theory , yes. Not sure anyone can really buy it though because of the severe curvature of many of the lines.

Sorry, but there is nothing in pictures that proves it is an artifact. "Maybe", "could be", "possibly" doesnt qualify as grounds for our indian artifact forum.

Sorry, but there is nothing in pictures that proves it is an artifact. "Maybe", "could be", "possibly" doesnt qualify as grounds for our indian artifact forum.
Completely agree, not plow marks either though.

Completely agree, not plow marks either though.

Care to enlighten us on what caused the obvious patina disturbance if not implement damage? And everyone can disregard any "maybe" or "possibly" in my posts. I was just trying to be polite. I've seen too many rocks hit by farm equipment through the years to try to fool myself into believing that I found an artifact when I had not.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back